Would you cancel the party?

We are supposed to be having my daughters 9th b-day at her g-ma's (my mil's) house tomorrow. Well my daughter is now sick. She is really upset and doesn't want us to cancel and reschedule her party. I am just worried b/c her great g-ma will be there and is supposed to be getting hip replacement surgery next Friday, and she can't afford to get sick or they won't do the surgery. We actually planned this party a week early so great g-ma could come b/c she was upset thinking she was going to miss it b/c of her surgery.

My daughter is not deathly sick or anything but is running a low grade fever..I just don't know what to do. My mil still wants us to do the party and just keep my daughter and her great g-ma apart...but I just don't know :/ I would say just cancel and reschedule normally but great g-ma had her heart set on being there.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Nope. Just wash a lot of hands.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 6:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• No, use hand sanitizer, lysol, and wash hands
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 6:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Just go with your gut feeling on this one!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 7:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Don't cancel it, just a lot of hand washing/sanitizer. Make sure you have tissues available to your daughter too. Just tell g-ma that DD is sick so that she will be forewarned and its her decision whether to come and risk it or not.

I actually kind of doubt that she'll be the only one sick there too so don't feel like you're endangering everyone. You can always keep g-ma away from her (unless DD just washed her hands and face for a quick hug). Maybe even get a face mask for g-ma.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 7:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• This is tough. But if your in-laws are saying to come, then it might be okay. Take precautions though and not just on your side, but g-ma's side too. (Face mask, hand sanitizer, hand washing, and tissues.) Good luck, and hope your daughter feels better soon. :)
    Ks_mom94

Answer by Ks_mom94 at 7:06 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Don't cancel. Other ideas are a big help. Maybe she'll feel OK in AM.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:28 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• do the party and tell ggma not to come, your daughter can visit her special, get a manicure together or something after she's feeling better.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I say see how she is in the morning. If it's low grade it could be as simple as food poisoning. Just do a lot of hand washing and vigilance.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 10:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• If you think her illness is air born,you can use face mask,ugh..but if grama is suseptable to getting things easily,its for her own good.I'd get your dd started on getting lots of vitamin c in her.Orange juice,stuff like that,and maybe a 500mg vitamin c pill won't hurt.She'll get over it quicker.Vitamin c is also a natural way to take care of a fever.Good Luck with the party,don't let her kiss granny.
    TootieFruitie

Answer by TootieFruitie at 9:40 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I cannot understand where these answers are coming from. The idea of exposing everyone is ridiculous.
    Take the child to the Drs. and ask his/her opinion.
    Follow it.
    What are we teaching our children. Is it alright to put everyone at risk? It is important to be responsible for our actions.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:59 AM on Aug. 18, 2010