How do i get my kitten to stop scratching on my blankets?

my young kitten like's to scratch my blanket and i don't know how to get her to stop.

angel545

Asked by angel545 at 7:06 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Pets

• get her something she can scratch and when you see her scratching something put her in front of that.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:07 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Get a little squirt bottle and whenever you catch her scratching, give a little squirt. She'll stop. She needs a scratching post!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 7:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• i used nail caps with my cats called soft claws, they even come in colors and different sizes. You can find them at petsmart and other places
    wubbunny420

Answer by wubbunny420 at 9:11 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• All of the above answers!

Seriously though, provide an appropriate place to scratch. Some cats prefer upright scratching places, others like those on the floor. Offer both and a couple different types.

Try to keep the blanket from her if you can. You may want to consider using one with a different texture if you can.

Water bottles can work, but unless you can catch her every single time she does it (meaning she's never left alone with the blanket and you are awake the entire time she has access) it probably won't be an effective means of "punishment."

Soft Paws (caps that can be put on the nails) are an option, but they do fall off and need to be replaced either then or when the nails get too long so there can be considerable upkeep.

PetSmart carries some products that can be sprayed on surfaces to make them less attractive to cats, but I'm not sure how/if they work on fabrics. It at least is worth checking out.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 11:52 PM on Aug. 8, 2010