Went to the OBGYN yesterday and I was 1cm...does that necessarily mean I'm in active labor?

NBCMommy101

Asked by NBCMommy101 at 7:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Nope! I was 2cm for a month with my dd. It just means you are getting closer.
    LeeLeeCandleGrl

Answer by LeeLeeCandleGrl at 7:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I think active labor is 4 or 5cm
    LeeLeeCandleGrl

Answer by LeeLeeCandleGrl at 7:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Nah, you can walk around like that for weeks.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Nope-your body is just getting ready. I was 3cm for at least three weeks with my first.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 7:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• as pp's -- no, you can be several cm's and not feel very different.
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 7:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Active labor is not defined by how dilated you are, but rather how close and intense the contractions are. Basically if you can talk you are not in transition labor yet and if the contractions are not coming regularly then you are not in the first stage of labor yet eiter. You can walk around dilated a few cm for weeks or not at all. I refused internal exams before I got to the hospital for two reasons, it can introduce bacteria you don't want and they don't really tell you anything at all because every woman and every pregnancy is different.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Were you having contractions? Are your contractions consistent/intensifying/progressing?

Women walk around at 4 or 5 for days-weeks sometimes, not contraction/in labor.

If getting your cervix checked is confusing, consider declining offers for more. They are optional, many women never get checked at all.

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:01 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• oh thanx guys :-) well I wouldn't call what I've been having "contractions" considering they only seem to happen at the studio after the show around 8:26am...this is my first pregnancy and I just don't want to call my OBGYN or the medical center with silly questions... :-/
    NBCMommy101

Comment by NBCMommy101 (original poster) at 8:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Just to let you know, whether you believe it or not, there are no silly questions when you are pregnant. As many women have said, every pregnancy and every are different. Just keep an eye out, and if you're not sure, just call. That is how they can buy their Porches.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 8:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Sounds like stress is causing some strain-contractions. I would guess your body is telling you that what just happened was a little much.
    Asking questions and researching is how you learn --very important!
    Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2010