My mother-in-law is too much and she stresses out my nine month old when we see her. I've tried to talk to her and she just blows me off as being silly. She doesn't see the melt downs she has in the car on the way home, and the difficulties in getting her to sleep those days. Other wise my l.o. is a very mellow easy baby. Any suggestions how to get her to take me seriously?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in General Parenting

• She will always think she is a far better mother than you. Nothing can really change that. And your daughter will get overtired many times in the years to come - having tantrums and refusing to sleep each time. There's not much you can do about that either.

cont...
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• However, here are my suggestions to minimize it:
    I would suggest that you start having "calm down" times and cutting your visits short.
    Keep an eye on your daughter. When she is starting to get a little too worked up, take her from grandma and go sit outside or someplace quiet. Even take a quick walk.
    When you think she's getting close to "over done", leave. Don't let grandma talk you into staying. Go home. If you waited too long, cut your next visit 10 minutes shorter until you find a visit length that works for you.
    Make certain you stick to schedule nap times and snack times as your baby turns into a toddler. If she hasn't dropped to 2 naps a day yet, she will soon. Then she will drop to one a day, which she may continue to take until she's 5 (some kids do). Don't make her skip a nap for something as simple as playing with grandma. Annual trips to the zoo - yes. Weekly trip to grandma - no.
    kaycee14