This may sound odd...But my husband came home with a cast iorn pan today and i was wondering if its safe to cook with...I hear alot of things about different types of pans

MaMaTreZZa

Asked by MaMaTreZZa at 8:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Food & Drink

• As far as I know. We have some that have been in our family for almost 6 decades. Just DO NOT USE it if you have a smooth top range.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 8:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I LOVE my cast iron! Google the care and keeping of cast iron though, you don't wash it like you would other pans.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Yes cast iron is wonderful to cook with! You can use it on the stove top or in the oven. Just don't leave it with food or water in it (like in the sink), it will rust. If it didn't come with care instructions for seasoning it, you might want to google that. Good Luck!!

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 8:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• yes,its safe unless you have an overabundance of iron and a little more will make you sick I guess! :P

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Or put in the dishwasher
    kc932

• sure, cast iron is great to cook with. never wash it with soap though and you can clean it with salt (no soap or water, just rub salt to clean). if it's rusty then you can clean it with soap and water, and you'll have to re-season it by covering it with oil inside and out (don't use olive oil.... use vegetable or canola oil) and then put it in the oven. gee i forget for how long in the oven..... 350 for an hour? anybody remember?? lol getting old
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Yes, but make sure it's well seasoned first.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Cast iron pans are get to cook in, but you must season it first. The pan should have come with instructions on how to prepare before using. If it is a used cast iron pan, it is most likely already seasoned and feel free to use.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 8:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• As long as you don't have hemochromatosis, cast iron is good for you.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I was told its the best to cook in, you just have to keep it from rusting.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 8:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2010