My 20 month old loves to drink water. How much milk should I make sure he has a day?

I don't give him much juice so its mostly water and milk.

Brandi300

Asked by Brandi300 at 8:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is 20 months also. Our pedatrician told us no more than 16 oz a day of milk.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:42 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• 3 servings of dairy. Doesn't have to be milk, but need to make sure he's getting vitamin D somewhere.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I think it is great for kids to drink milk! I think more kids like milk than salmon and dark greens lol, maybe that's just me.
    We give about 18oz a day [two 9oz sippies] plus she has cheese and yogurt. We are big dairy lovers in this house!
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 10:11 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My 21 month old won't drink milk at all (I don't blame her, I think it's disgusting). I don't think it's a requirement.

As long as he's getting dairy somewhere, yogurt or cheese, all should be well.
    MrsBlack530

Answer by MrsBlack530 at 9:10 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• at my son's 2 year old check up his dr. asked how much milk he drank per day I told her 3-4 of 2% she said that was fine but to make sure it wasn't less than that. I have always just given him what he wants to eat or drink (healthy not like he eats candy all day) and he's a healthy little guy!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 9:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Milk isnt necessary. All the nutrients can be found elsewhere. Plenty of kids are not able to drink cow's milk at all. Get sunshine every day for Vit D. Dark greens for calcium. Chicken and Salmon are both high in protien and zinc.
    No need for cow's milk at all. No sweat.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I let my kids have 3 9oz sippy cups of milk
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 10:33 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My girls always drank lots of milk. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack time and inbetween had water and or juice. Actually to this day they are still big drinkers...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 2:11 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• It's best to limit the amount of cow's milk that your child receives to 2-3 cups (16-24 ounces) per day, since too much cow's milk in a child's diet can put him at risk for iron-deficiency anemia (because milk can interfere with the absorption of iron) and may decrease the child's desire for other foods.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:07 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• None! Water is the only beverage that your child needs.

Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn't digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies.  Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 5:21 PM on Aug. 7, 2010