Do you think Muslims of Non-Middle Eastern decent have an easier time than those of Middle eastern decent?

I'm wondering honestly, I'm not meaning this to be racist or religiously demeaning in any way. I've personally NEVER seen any type of discrimination like this - however, I know, unfortunately, it happens daily...

I'm wondering though if people of Middle eastern decent have an even worse time than other non-Middle eastern Muslims simply because people think they are of foreign origin...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:07 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• no i think all muslims suffer from racism and descrimation
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:10 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I haven't seen any discrimination, at least where I live
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:11 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Here's where my question comes from... I'm watching What Would You Do. I've seen this one before, and similar situations. In this one they are verbally attacking a Muslim woman to see the reactions of others around her. However, they always use actresses of Middle eastern decent in these shows. Many of the people actually support the abuse stating that the woman is not American. Which is why I wonder if your "average white girl" were playing the Muslim would the reaction to the abuse be different?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• The abuse is worse. All my ancestors came from Ireland so I am VERY pale skinned and have fine features. I get much much much more abuse because I am "white" and a Muslim. It adds the other T word when your a white, traitor and terrorist.
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 9:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I was surprised to read your answer, NCMommy2be. I would have thought that a person of Middle Eastern descent would be subject to more scrutiny and mistreatment. I wasn't even thinking of women. My first thought was men, and how women are reportedly treated in the Middle East. That's why I was thinking that people might be more accepting of an American Muslim.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:01 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I know someone who is extremely fair skinned and doesn't look to be of Middle Eastern descent at all and she was physically attacked in public by another woman because she was wearing a hijab (female Muslim headcovering for those who don't know).

I don't think skin color, at least for a woman, would make any difference because nobody who hates that much notices anything beyond the hijab.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:36 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Nope, "White" American Muslims get more abuse than Muslims of colour. Its because people look at you and see "white" and they feel your a traitor to your country because you became a Muslim. A Muslim of colour doesn't have that, people just assume that the person is an immigrant. Being a "white" Muslim adds that extra layer of bigotry.
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 12:15 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• That's too bad that it is like that for you. I am sorry. People should not have problems with individuals unless and individual is being a problem. When I was a vegetarian I was told that I was un-American (not such a great comparison, I know). I respect Muslim women for their modesty and their holiness (by that I mean devotion to their faith). I was looking for more modest swimwear once, and I came across a website with swimwear for Muslim women, and it covered almost all exposed skin. That wasn't quite what I was looking for, but I respect that. Why should we compromise our values just because we are swimming? Does that make sense?
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:28 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• No.. Having Muslim family members who are all American.. Heinz 57 American.. I can tell you.....No... These days, if you are obviously Muslim, it doesn't matter what your heiritage or race is.. You're still "Muslim" and for some Americans, that's a dirty word and the wrong thing to be at this point and time in this country. It makes it even worse in some's eyes that you are an "American" Muslim, that adds a whole different layer onto their distain.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:06 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Wow, this is all so sad to hear. I would have hoped that America has moved beyond such bigotry. A friend of mine converted to Islam a few years ago and then moved to the Bible belt. I can only imagine what she encounters on a daily basis.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:53 AM on Aug. 7, 2010