Do you loan your car out to family members?

A couple of years ago my husband let my mom use our car to go to a doctors appointment. Well, on the way home she got in an accident and totaled the car. No one was severely injured.

My husband is being deployed and originally we were going to let my brother use our car while he was gone, but after the accident with my mom he doesn't want to do it. Which I understand.

We were just going to give him our car(I don't drive), but now I am being made to feel like a horrible person because we don't want to have him drive the car on our insurance.

I think we're being reasonable. Everyone else is pissed off. (Plus, he also has almost a 100 dollars worth of tickets he can't pay off. I thought the car would be a good incentive to get his license back). Which, he lost due to not having insurance on it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• It is a completely bad idea to allow a family member to drive your car. WHY?
    1. They're not on your insurance
    2.They will never respect your car the way you do
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:17 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• i don't allow anyone to drive my car. i think in your situation i wouldn't let your brother come anywhere near your insurance (and plus, if i'm reading it right, he doesn't even have a liscence?) i agree with you..... give your brother the car and he can get insurance and liscence, etc. on his own. i think that's a great idea and don't let anyone make you feel bad for it! you're being super nice..... afterall you could just sell it and get money for it instead of helping your brother
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Hell no, LOL they wouldent wanna use it any way its a old beat up nissan
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 9:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I don't even let my husband drive my car! LOL....BTW, how can your brother even drive it without a license or insurance?
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My family wouldn't be able to drive my car ever. First car I ever had was shared between myself and my step sisters. They were not nice to that car at all.
    zadesmom1998

Answer by zadesmom1998 at 9:29 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• If the car was just totaled that should be enough for anyone to understand why you are no longer loaning out your car. Tell your brother so sorry you wanted to help but this episode made you realize you just can't.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I don't because I know if anything happen to my car it's on me.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 10:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Heck no! I'll let someone drive it, just to try it out, but not without me! I would never loan out a vehicle unless it was a dire emergency, and even then I'd be very leary of doing it.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:36 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• if he not insurance and drivers license then no car what happen if there is another car accident and some one gets hurt or killed 'will your brother help you out after the fact no and if it goes to court who will get blame but you and oh yes your insurance will go to the roof.
    your husband can losses his license even if he is not in the car.so both of you don't give it to any one family or no family
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 11:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I don't like anyone driving my car- including my husband! LOL I would let them use if it was a Complete Emergency-
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 12:32 AM on Aug. 7, 2010