What is the difference between baby applesauce and regular applesauce?

Is it just the chunk factor?

I think it's ridiculous to pay a premium for jarred baby food, since my toddler loves applesauce and goes through tons of it. Can I just water down or add breastmilk to "adult" applesauce to get to the right consistency for my infant daughter? I get the unsweetened stuff anyways, so I'm not concerned about corn syrup or extra sugar additives if I give it to my infant.

If there is a real reason why infants can't eat "adult" applesauce, please let me know...

Squirrell34

Asked by Squirrell34 at 9:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if you get the unsweetened (or naturally sweetened with apple juice) smooth kind, then it's the same as baby applesauce.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:28 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• nothing really exceptt mabe the sugar. Check out the ingredients and see the difference. I fed my baby regualr applesauce that was sugar free
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 9:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• baby applesauce has no sugar.
    GiannisMomma

Answer by GiannisMomma at 9:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I always did the organic unsweetened adult kind w/ my kids. Keep a couple jars of the baby stuff in the diaper bag though for just in case.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 9:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• just buy unsweetened stuff

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I made it myself. No sweetening. I ran it through a babyfood grinder at first, but it didn't take long before I just mashed it.

Answer by Bmat at 9:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• No difference- as long as you buy sugar free. You don't need to add anything to it!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I fed my daughter regular applesauce, I didn't even water it down. I saw no difference what-so-ever from the baby kind and the big regular one was cheaper.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 9:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• i do regular unsweetened applesauce- it's so much more cheaper!
    kh717

Answer by kh717 at 9:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• It's just because of the sugar content. Once my kids were old enough to sample table foods (according to their doctor around 9 months) I bought the store brand.....it was a lot runnier than popular brands (and they also have unsweetened).
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 9:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2010