So my child got switched to nutramigen but the nurse gave me powder, I have never used powder with either of my kids so I have a few questions please!!!!

Ok so it seems as though she doesn't like it, like the consistancy is more watery than the condensed or ready mixed formula.. She chocks sometimes when she is drinking it...... I just wanted to know if that is what powder formula is all about??? looks thin, is it suppose to??? liquid or powder better?

randilinn

Asked by randilinn at 9:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they should be the same consistancy as the ready made one. did you follow the directions right? did you shake it up good to get out all the lumps?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• There are a few ways that powdered formula will look different...
    1) make sure you use the right amount of powder & water.
    2) Shake it really well before serving
    3) Type of water you use; the "hardness" of your water can cause problems with the formula dissolving. If you're concerned, use distilled or "nursery" water.
    Squirrell34

Answer by Squirrell34 at 9:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• yes to packed scoops full in 4 oz of water... and I shake the crap out of it for a couple minutes because I know powder can have clumps in it!!!! i just seems more wattery than the other stuff
    randilinn

Comment by randilinn (original poster) at 9:37 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Nutramigen does have a funny consistency. I'm pretty sure you can buy it in ready-made, but its even more expensive that way. Also, you are supposed to pack down the scoop with Nutramigen, unlike most other formulas
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 10:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• my dd uses it and it is very watery..i have been told by my pedi to add oatmeal and rice cereal to keep it a little thicker..this also helps with my dd acid reflux by adding weight to the milk and keeping it down..its usually one tb per 2oz of milk
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 6:51 AM on Aug. 7, 2010