My mom said its wierd that my daughter doesnt rest her head on shoulders when anyone holds her does anyone elses children not do this?

Shes 5 1/2 months old and when you hold her she holds her arms out straight when you hold her and leans backwards

Brittanie494

Asked by Brittanie494 at 9:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter doesn't like to snuggle like that either (she's 11 mo). she prefers to be held sideways (like as if you're nursing her).... my first son liked either way..... my second son loves the over the shoulder thing..... i think it's just a preference
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:33 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My son doesnt rest his head on people either. I think it makes him feel smothered. He was always like that, he doesnt like anything all up in his face lol
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 9:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My oldest did that all the time. When she was even younger she'd arch her back and try to get away. She's 3 1/2 now and has just always been fiercely independent and ahead of the curb. I don't think it's something to worry about, it's just her personality. :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:38 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My first wouldn't arch away, but he preferred to be looking around rather than having his head down.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• OH yes. my 6 month old does this, he wants to see the world around him.
    Wrtngfantasymom

Answer by Wrtngfantasymom at 9:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• That's what I figured she's been doing this for the past 2 months my mom just wants to make me panic thank you for the responses
    Brittanie494

Comment by Brittanie494 (original poster) at 10:06 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Oh yeah, it's fairly common. Several of my nieces/ nephews were happier looking around (had to hold them so they could face out.) My son is very affectionate, but he almost never lays his head on my shoulder.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My daughter didn't start resting her head on my shoulder until she was over a year old! She'll be two in October and she's just gotten to the point where she'll be cuddly with me.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• in another few months or so she will start doing that. Its still kinda early for that.
    angelbabies14

Answer by angelbabies14 at 10:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My 5 mo old son wants to look around and see the world! The only time he rests his head on a shoulder is if he's falling asleep.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 11:16 PM on Aug. 6, 2010