Bedtimes for multi aged kids different, or same for all?

kerryket

Asked by kerryket at 9:36 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Definitely different bedtimes. Older kids are entitled to the benefits of being older, which includes getting to stay up later than their younger siblings, even if it's just a half hour. Although it may seem unfair to the younger sibling, they are learning a life lesson....with age is privilege, and that life isn't always fair. 

My kids are 20 months apart, so up until this past year, bedtimes were the same.  They never asked for different.  Now that they're older, I know my 13 year old needs more sleep than my 15 year old (she's just crabby without her sleep).  I let my 15 year old stay up later.  He needs to be in his room, but he can read or draw or play his hand held games. 

Sonnut

Answer by Sonnut at 9:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Id say if they are like a year or two apart, should be the same, when they are young, get them all to bed asap haha. As they get older, bed times should vary.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 9:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Right now, it's the same for my 3-yr-old and 15-mo-old. In the future, if we decide to let the older one stay up a little later, the younger one will get to stay up later when she reaches that age. I figure that's only fair.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• i think that bed time for any chil or children should be the same i have 2 boys and there in bed at the same time every day
    mommys_boys2010

Answer by mommys_boys2010 at 10:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Depends on the ages. My kids are 13 months apart and go to be at the same time. Sometimes the older stays up an hour and sometimes the younger does. But generally they go to bed around the same time.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:11 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• depends on the age of the kids
    ymadaris2

Answer by ymadaris2 at 11:01 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Right now it's the same for both. My 3 yo usually crashes prior to bed time, but with no early morning schedule right now I'm not strict.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:04 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I put both my 3 yr old and 1 yr old to bed at the same time very night which is 8PM and it will probably stay that way for a while then later on I'll move it to 9PM.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• We made ours different. The older kids stayed up while my husband & I got the younger ones settled down one by one (I have seven kids, so staggering the bedtimes helped us give individual attention to them)
    mamahobbit

Answer by mamahobbit at 9:35 PM on Aug. 8, 2010