Getting tubes tied...tell me your experience...would you recommend it?

Was it through your vagina or how was it done? After baby was born..

Painful?

Cause issue with cramping or periods?

Just trying to figure this out.

Tell me anything about it please :)

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 9:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Health

• I had mine tied with my colon resection surgery. I had no issues with the procedure at all. I will say my periods are now heavy, crampy & long. At first I thought this was just being caused by chemotherapy. My surgery was 5 years ago now. So, the affects of chemo are LONG gone. I've learned through other moms on CM that they have experience the same things I was going through. Nobody told me of the possibilities before they did the procedure. Still would have done it. But, it would have been nice to have some warning. LOL.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Can't help too much with recovery answers, mine was done w/my csection so I didn't have one.

One thing I can help with is...expect a little depression after. I was all for having mine done before. After it really knocked me for a loop for a few months. Even though I wanted it done there was a mourning period. Turns out preventing pregnancy and never being able to have babies again are a little different mentally...go figure. LOL! Since then I've talked to a lot of women about theirs and a lot of them went through the same thing. Not all, so you might get to avoid it. Just be aware it could happen.

Now that I'm through that, though...woot! So glad I did it.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 9:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I have had one ovarie tied cut and burned, and the other ovarie remoed totally d/t cancer. i can tell you that you have no idea that the tube was cut, tied and burned. absolutly none! I had mine done after a c-sect.
    Joy118

Answer by Joy118 at 10:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I had the Essure done
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 10:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I didn't get mine tied, but I've known several people who have. One of my co-workers had hers done on a Tuesday and was back at work Wednesday. I think they somehow did hers through her belly button? I don't remember. All the women I know that have had it done say their periods are much heavier and the PMS is worse. I asked my OB about that when I was considering getting it done, and she said it's because women tend to be on birth control (pills, patch, IUD) for so long that they forget what it's like to have a "normal" period. I'm not sure if I completely buy that argument. I had the option to get mine done when I had my c-section, but didn't want to have it done in just in case there was anything wrong with the baby. DH & I waited a few months to do anything, and he ended up getting a vasectomy last month.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I had my tubes tied after my last child was born, he was born by c-section. They did it at the same time. But, my periods haven't been regular in years. After I had it done, a friend of mine told me that if you have ti done that problems with your period will happen. If I only had known. I never know when I'm going to get it anymore.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:38 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I had Essure done. It is the only sterilization procedure that had zero pregnancies in the clinical trials. You get confirmation that it worked. And if it does self reverse you will know right away and will be able to use a back up protection.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:14 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Journey311-when I had mine tied, I hadn't been on any type of BC pills. Never used them. Always used a diaphragm. So, that kinda blows the "women being on BC pills" theory.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:30 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• See I have heard that it DOES make your periods heavier and cramps worse from some ladies in my area....wanted to see if other women had the same issues.

We are also contemplating sending dh for a vasectomy...he is not too thrilled about that...lol. But I am not thrilled about having my tubes tied either.

I have also wondered about feeling sad about it too. I think I will feel sad about dh getting a vasectomy too. Just the fact that you CAN NOT go back...even though we know after this child is born that we are done! This will be 3 :)

I will have to check out the Essure... :)
    mom2twobabes

Comment by mom2twobabes (original poster) at 9:58 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I didn't go through the sadness. But, I'm older than most of you. I was 45 with 4 kids when I had it done. In all reality, however, both - a vasectomy & a tubal ligation can be revearsed if you want it badly enough.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:29 AM on Aug. 7, 2010