Am I being too sensitive?

My sis & her S/O are going to see my niece this week-end.Nikki lives 3 hrs.away.My niece & I have always been close and it's always bothered my sis.Today,my niece called & asked if I wanted to come too.Of courseI do.I haven't seen her since my sons funeral in January.My sister just called & told me that she wants to have some "alone" time with Nikki so her S/O isn't going & now I'm not going either.I don't know what to think.I really wanted to see everyone.So...do I have a right to feel the way I do?

bvannkissy

Asked by bvannkissy at 9:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• First of all, I am so sorry to hear about your son. You have every right to feel the way you do. Maybe you and Nikki can meet soon half way just the two of you? It sounds like your sis does have something else going on that maybe your sister just doesn't want to bother you with that Nikki doesn't know about yet. *hugs* Do something nice for yourself or do something at all now that you have a free weekend mind as well enjoy it!
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Schedule a trip for yourself in another week or so and get some alone time of your own. :)
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Maybe something is going on and she needs to talk to her in private. Maybe you guys can schedule another time to go there together?
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I agree. Schedule a trip for another time. You don't have to go at the same time your sister is going.
    Your sister may want to create that bond that you and your niece have. Allow her that chance.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Maybe you could go see her on another trip.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:08 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• yes you do . call your neice and tell her you will see her at another time that way you and your sister will not have any problems.
    ymadaris2

Answer by ymadaris2 at 10:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• your pain is real you just lost a son most people try to be kind and sweet what you really want is to be invited .like was before your son died but they don't understand how they give you the looks. and what you really need is to talk about your son good times and the bad times and most to be heard. they to see you are alive and want to see and be with people.talk with your sister tell her what you told us i think she would realy want you there if she new how hurt you felt.yes she will listen to what you have to say and good luck
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 11:05 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• You have a right to your own feelings. You want to go and that is understandable. But if she wants to go alone you should respect her wishes and go on your own. Nothing wrong with someone wanting to build a stronger connection with another family member. Sometimes if two people who are closer get together that other person who is not as close, may feel like the 3rd wheel.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 12:03 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Your niece did call and want you to come. But do your visit later so you can enjoy your time with her by yourself. I think this would mean more to your niece than having you both there at the same time.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:35 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I just found out this morning that it was all a big lie.I had a feeling she did lie to me.She didn't want me to go,so her S/O decided to stay home so it would look good.I called my other nice,Kissy,& she told me what the deal was.so...I'm really not surprised.My only wish is that my sister would have been truthful with me.I would always much rather hear the truth than be lied to.
    bvannkissy

Comment by bvannkissy (original poster) at 3:33 PM on Aug. 7, 2010