Might send my 11 year old alone on flight home, is it really safe? there could be a potential for transfers. Just worried...8(

he's never flown before he's pretty mature for his age I worry about a wierdo coming along and snatching him up or if he's accidentally put on the wrong plane going to the wrong destination. All experiences anyone has would be appreciated, especially if they are recent.

Some1Somewhere

Asked by Some1Somewhere at 9:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Travel

• Hi :) My son has travel by plane (Southwest airlines) by himself in the summers since he was 7 years old. His father lives in Nevad, we live in Ohio. Southwest is the airline that I found that had a kid flying alone plan going on at the time I was searching..so thats what weve stuck with. An airline attendant escorts the child on th eplane and has him seated and watches out for the child the entire time. My son got to go up to the front of the plane before take off and see all the controls and talk to the captain, he said it was pretty cool.Once the plane lands at the destination, the attendant will escort th echild off the plane and wait with the child until the approved pick up person comes up and shows i.d. Also..any child under 12 flying alone MUST have a flight that is a straight route, they dont allow them to transfer. Good Luck! Hope I've helped!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:01 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• This was ages ago but I flew alone three times between 10 and 12. You board and exit first so there isn't a crowd of people around. You sit up front with any other children flying right by the flight attendants. A flight attendant personally took me to my next plane or the group waiting for me. I would make sure all of this is in place and planned for when you book your ticket. I was always well taken care of.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My parents divorced before I even remember. When I was 6 my dad remarried and I started flying in to visit during the summers. So I was 6 the first time I flew alone and flew every summer until I graduated. I don't know for sure, but you can probably look it up at the airline website, but I think anyone under 12 can be escorted by airline personnel. So if there is a connection, someone from the airlines should escort your son from one gate to the next. Then when he gets to the destination, there is a way for the person picking him up to be able to meet him at the gate, but I don't know what you do for that. Back when I flew alone there wasn't all this crazy security. The person should have to sign for the child. At least when I flew my mom and dad had to sign for me when they picked me up. Once I turned 12, I did the connections on my own, but flying was old hat by then.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I was 9 the first time I few alone. My little brother was 8 the first time he flew alone. Airlines are used to taking children because there are so many kids going back and forth between mom and dad's homes. They make them sit on the flight til everyone is off, then a stewardess checks to make sure they get off ok, and, I can't remember, maybe even walks them out? Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:09 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Thanks to all that have answered. I have a flight booked and am confident everything will be ok. Thanks again!
    Some1Somewhere

Comment by Some1Somewhere (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Talk with someone and they may let you walk him down and sit with him till take off...
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:35 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I have go to say that if there is anyone out there that has the same question I did, there is no doubt about it. Go for it! It is alot easier than driving 9 hours one way to pick your child up. It is safe, and was quite an enjoyable experience for my child. The only qualm he had about it was the take-off and the landing. Which is normal, according to another passenger getting ready to board the next flight. Highly highly highly recommend this form of travel. Thanks again all!
    Some1Somewhere

Comment by Some1Somewhere (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2010