Down syndrome children...

My aunt's friend has a 13 year old son who has down syndrome and she was looking for someone to watch him and put him on the bus in the mornings and after school .... So I voluntered. My aunts son ( cousin ) is friends with him and my aunt says that he is good at video games and that is pretty much all he does when he is at house ( my aunts house) ... I have never been around a child with down syndrome and I guess what I am asking is how to act around them... I am not exactly sure what is different about them ( do they learn and act like a younger age ? )

I just want to know some info and some advice before our meeting tomorrow..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• the best thing to do , in my opinion, is treat them like any other child.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• not sure but I would of bumped you if you weren't anon!
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 10:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• well there are so many different levels of it, it's impossible to tell you. i was a 1on 1 aide for a teenage girl, and she was in 10th grade doing 1st and 2nd grade school work. but socializing, you could talk to her on an age-appropriate level (don't get her started on fashion lol..... typical teenage girl stuff). i guess i would just treat him like a normal kid..... get to know him and you'll find out what he's about pretty quickly
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:06 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Treat him like a normal kid, there are different levels, so you don't know exactly what he will be like until you meet him. My mom lives next to a group home for people with downs and some will come over and hold a conversation, not the best attention span, but they can talk nicely, others are more child like, high pitch voices, really excitable, others memorize as much as they can, one guy basically memorizes every detail of basketball games, or baseball games, depending on the season.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:10 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• treat him as any other child. in my experience with working with downs adults is that they arent much different than other adults, just slightly slower. when asking questions ask him directly, and not his mom or someone else, it would be the same if some1 asked ur Dh about u when u are standing right there, its down grading and rude. the downs that i worked with had enough cognitive skills to be able to hold a convo and to answer questions pertaining to health and routines. i was taught to give a warning b4 changing activities IE in 10 min we are going to do this, with my experience they dont do well with sudden changes, ive witnessed behaviors when such has happened. i recommend talkin to the mom one on one in another room and ask about behavioral issues if there is any,more than likely there will be, and ask about proper techniques to deal with those. most need minimal care, just supervision and reminders. good luck
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 10:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• i worked in a group home which housed downs syndrome and moderately to mildly retarded for about 4 yrs and i loved it... i also work with profoundly retarded individuals which was fun but a big challenge being little things set them off and i left work bruised up on many occasions. and if the boy does have a behavior dont panic....cause if u do his behavior will escalate and most MRs dont realize how strong they are and can cause some serious damage....not tryin to scare you by any means, just be prepared for the worst and i would also recommend taking a MANT class, which is pretty much is restraining a person properly to minimize injury on the individual, you, or other persons.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• How do you act? Are you sure you should have said you would do it?
    Children w/downs should be treated like any other children with the exception of special considerations. Ask his mom if there is anything that you should know,things that bother him or that he may need help with etc. Thats about it.
    I have worked with special needs children and they really just want to be treated like anyother kid. ;)
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 11:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My son is 11 and has Down's Syndrome, and patience is the key. He won't be like a normal child, but he will very loving and they are indeed special. Don't expect too much out of him, as he does learn slower than other children. His speech could be delayed, and you should ask your Aunt how his verbal skills are before you meet him. Sign language may be a possibility, and this will differ from child to child.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:31 AM on Aug. 7, 2010