Disease that makes your eyeballs expand?

Okay, I have no idea what this is. I heard a story today about a lady that has a specific disease in which her eyeballs expand. She had to have surgery in which the cut away some of the bone around her eye sockets in order to decrease the stress on the eyeballs so to their increase in size. I also heard that the doctor told her to be careful not to sneeze or cough as her eyes may fall out. Apparently her eyes are huge, and a friend of hers has a hard time even talking to her in the face because they have gotten so big that it scares her. I had no idea this ever existed!! Does anyone know what it is? I think they said something like it affects the lymph nodes?

BabyBeans0506

Asked by BabyBeans0506 at 10:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Health

• Graves disease can cause the eyeballs to bulge out of the eye sockets. This is an autoimmune disorder that involves an overactive thyroid.
    lori57703

Answer by lori57703 at 10:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Could they be talking about Glaucoma? I know that causes pressure from inside the ey which causes swelling.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• See I'm not sure. The girl affected with it is in her early 30's. I think the disease set in suddenly.
    BabyBeans0506

Comment by BabyBeans0506 (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Yes. I think I remember hearing about this, what lori57703 said.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:28 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Ah! Okay Lori, thanks....I think now reading it that Graves disease is ringing a bell. Maybe that is what I heard about.
    BabyBeans0506

Comment by BabyBeans0506 (original poster) at 10:29 PM on Aug. 6, 2010