Another toddler bed question!

What happens when your child wakes up in the morning? Do they come and get you?
I am worried that my dd will get up and get into trouble if we put her in a toddler bed.
We have a lock on the outside of the door [to keep cats out, they fight all night and wake her lol] but I think she might get up and realize she is locked in her room and feel scared.
Am I over thinking??
DD is only 17 months but we are moving soon and are thinking of just not putting the crib back together once we get there.
Thanks!

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 10:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son skipped the toddler bed. He went from crib to regular bed. He sleeps with the door open, as does everyone in my house, and till this day (he is 5 now) he doesn't get out of bed until I do. He just lays there with his stuffed animals and sings or hums and waits patiently. My other two when they were little would get up and go turn on the tv....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My kids will come get into my bed if it is still early and if not they will come and wake me up. My dd will say "Mom, is morning time the suns up".
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 10:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• We had the child thingies on the door knobs so our twin boys couldn't open the door. Not cruel. Our bedroom was downstairs. Didn't want them tumbling down the stairs if they got up. Honestly, they didn't care. The just played with their toys. Didn't panic. If your worried about knowing when they get up, use a baby monitor.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I would say that since you are moving keep her in the crib. That is just my opinion. Unless she is trying to crawl out of it, keep her in. Then after 6 months or so you can start the toddler bed transition, or wait until she is potty trained. Moving into a new home and getting a new bed may really freak her out. Their bed is their security at this time. Some doctors even say they can stay in up to 2 1/2 or 3 years, unless they are crawling out or too big for it. We just put our 23 month old son in a twin size bed, but he is potty trained and he was peeing in his crib. So he has a bed and a little potty in his room for when he has to go during nap. Hope to have helped you out.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• The best thing you can do for a child is keep him/her in the crib until they're ready. I personally do not think a 17 mo old is ready to make the switch. My daughter will remain in one until she's potty trained, jumping out of it, or closer to 3. I will not be making the switch prematurely, especially during a move. When I do make the switch, I'll be getting a regular twin size bed and not a toddler bed.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 10:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Well she is 17 months now, but we are moving in october...she will be 19 months, not that that is a huge difference, just saying.
    And you are right, we should probobly wait untill a bit after we move. I didn't even think about the stress it may put on her.
    We just thought it might be easier since her crib turns into a toddler bed.[not having to put it together, only to dismantle it, kwim?] That way we don't have to buy her a new bed just yet.
    And I feel she will be climbing out soon, she is trying so that is another thing to consider.
    BambiF

Comment by BambiF (original poster) at 10:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• DD is 2, and I transitioned her one month before her birthday. She never climbed out, but could have. I have a door knob blocker on the inside of her door. She mainly stays in her bed, or gets books and takes them back to her bed. Since I'm a teacher, we've been sleeping in this summer, so my alarm clock has been "Mommy, where are you?" LOL. I would wait until after the move, just to give her something stable. DD was scared to sleep in her bed the first night, and we also had a crib/toddler bed conversion
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 10:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I switched my girl to a toddler bed last night,she is 21 months old, and i can't believe it, she stayed in bed all night, till 8 am, i shut her door in the night time cause i dont want the dog to go in and wake her up. when she woke up this morning she knocked on the door and started calling,mom.....mommmy.....MOMMY! till i answered her then she started to giggle! It was so cute. was not a hard move at all to switch her! Good Luck mama
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 7:32 AM on Aug. 7, 2010