How to wash a make-up brush?

Let's say that for whatever reason, you can not buy a new make-up brush.
How do you wash it?

Mrs.J.

Asked by Mrs.J. at 10:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I used to sell Mary Kay. You should wash your brushes in rubbing alcohol. For various reasons, soap and water will eventually wear away the glue that holds them together. Alcohol also kills all the bacteria and germs that cause break outs and rashes. I soak them in a bowl of alcohol for a few minutes then swish them around. Then rinse with water. Then I do a second swish around in fresh alcolhol to make sure all the make up is removed and rinse in water again. Lay flat to dry. Sometimes when they are really dirty, I wipe them off between swishing around with a paper towel.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Mild soap, warm water. Rinse really well. Shake the water out and let air dry.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Soap and water, then squeeze excess water out and let air dry. It is actually recommended that we do that with our makeup brushes to keep them sanitary.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I haven't bought new brushes in a decade. I love mine. I simply wash them with shampoo, rinse them well, spin them in my hands and put them on a rack to dry completely. Give them another little spin and they are fluffed and good to go!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I wash my make up brushes using my shampoo, rinse well, squeeze water out, let them dry standing with the brush end up. I have had the same brushes for years and wash them about once a week.
    lori57703

Answer by lori57703 at 10:28 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• When you let it air dry let it dry with the bristles out over a ledge not fanned out flat. They will stay fluffier that way.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I have had the same set of brushes for about 7 years now I would say. They are still awesome.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• lol, thanx kimigogo, I was going to make the same comment about the alcohol but you beat me too it..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:52 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Hi, professional stylist here,, luke warm water,, fill the sink and use a mild soap,, like shampoo, keep dunking it and sloshing it back and forth until the water runs clear,, then fill the sink back up with cold water and slosh it again,, this will seal the porosity of the brush,, dry in a tooth brush holder so the bristles don't flatten out,, you should wash your brushes at least every 2 weeks, the can harbor bacteria and etcc,,, hope this was of help. IF your make up brush is made from animal hair NEVER put it in alcohol, this will dry it out and make the bristles dislodge from the base,, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• light shampoo with bristles facing down.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:50 AM on Aug. 7, 2010