• In the Spotlight:

Racism in our community daycares..

I live in a city that majority are Armenian. I have come across alot of problems here trying to get to know people because to be honest the people I have met here are very snotty and stand offish. I've been visiting daycares for weeks now and have gotten the rudest most racist comments simply from not being Armenian. I want my dd to be in a daycare where they respect all cultures even if it's not our own. I get comments like "well we only want Armenians here because we have a higher education then what you teach your child" or "sure you you can leave her here but we will not accomodate your type of culture only Armenian" I hate stereotypes but I have lived here for almost 3 years and still I have seen time and time again that they think they are so much better then everyone. Obviously not all think that way but man it's getting kind of scary now that it's getting closer to having to chose a daycare. I've been a sahm so

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 10:33 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• It makes me very nervous leaving her somewhere when I continously keep getting racist comments. I'm thinking of looking in other cities just because I'm so uneasy. It's really disgusting hat people actually think that way. My dd is biracial (Mexican and Japanese) and she needs to feel inured noteft our. Anyone else come across these problems? How do you handle rude comments?
    ProudMammaMia

Comment by ProudMammaMia (original poster) at 10:36 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I would just say something like "Good education also means teaching your children that just because someone is different, doesnt mean they are less." and walked out as they thought about that for a second. I would move, completely. The same problems are going to arise in school as well. Find yourself a nice, normal community where everyone is mixed and people hate you because you're an asshole and not because you're not Armenian haha.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 10:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Wow!  This is quite a question.  Are the day-cares rude because you or the Dad are not American citizens?  I don't doubt what you are saying, I live in the deep South and I have heard all types of ignorant talk.  Me being past military, I have lived all over the world.  Yes, I have been some places that don't like American military personnel. 

If these are privately owned day care centers then you can take your complaints to either the Better Business Bureaus or to your Attorney General in your state.  If these a publicly funded day cares, like Headstart, etc., then you need to RUN to both of the above mentioned places. 

I am sorry if this is your first encounter with the American citizens.  I do not think ALL American  are this way.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 10:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Wow! Maybe you could go back and ask them why they are here and not in Armenia since they hold their culture so much higher than ours. My children are Native American and African American. I haven't really had anything said directly to them or about them. I learned that racism is still very much alive from my supervisor. She made comments all the time about black people. She even paid me $2 more than a young lady I worked with who is black. She obviously didn't know about my husband or children. The only thing we can do is pray for these people. They are full of hate. I hope you find peace and a great daycare!
    mommyxdos

Answer by mommyxdos at 10:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Joeygoat I am an American citizen and so is my SO. We were born here in California. The people in the community are majority Armenian. I mean literaly almost everyone. So all the places are run by Armenians but not all of them think that way of course just seems to be a goo amount of them here at least. I have even been asked questions like "are you Mexican? " and I'll say well yes I'm Hispanic and they will say "aww I'm sorry" with this sad face or frown. It's soo ridiculous!! Thy act like it sucks to not be armenian!! We drive nice cars too but (not like that matters) but they still act funny with us. I have never met such close minded people in my life.
    ProudMammaMia

Comment by ProudMammaMia (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I am sorry to have missed the question, ARMENIAN, and not AMERICAN. My niece was married to an Armenian man, for a very short time. She said she was miserable and filed for a divorce. Sadly, he had already got his green card, after the divorce went back and brought back an Armenian bride. I would still check with your Attorney General.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 11:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2010