My 7 month old's eating habits

I have seen her doctor and a nutritionist, both say she isn't gaining weight quickly enough. She nurses every 3 hours for an average of 30 minutes (sometimes more, sometimes less depending on how hungry she is), and gets breakfast lunch and dinner consisting of 1-2 tablespoons of fruit or veggie. Also at dinner she gets a tablespoon of oatmeal cereal. I can't get her to eat any more solids than this, she refuses. Does this sound like normal eating habits to you, or is it really not enough? They have basically told me to feed her as much as I possibly can, and I'm trying, but she won't eat if she isn't hungry.

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 7 months she should be eating a lot more solid food than that (solid baby food atleast). Wait til she is really hungry, and then try to feed her some fruits or something, I'm sure she will eat it because its food. If that doesnt work, ask your doctor how to fix this problem.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 10:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• That sounds alright to me. I keep getting yelled at about my 2 year old but she eats a ton. How big is your 7 month old? and how much did they weigh at birth
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 10:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My daughter is 13 pounds, 6 ounces today. At birth she was 6 pounds, 8 ounces. So yes I know she isn't gaining enough weight, but I am at my wits end, I don't know what else I can do to get her to eat more.
    rhianna1708

Comment by rhianna1708 (original poster) at 10:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• If she is taking that long to nurse, she is burning up more energy than she should be. And a doctor should have told you this. I was told this from the lactation specialist and my pediatrician within the first couple weeks with both my babies. They shouldn't be nursing that long, especially at 7 months. I would think 5 to 10 minutes on each breast and they should be emptied. If she is nursing and taking that long to eat she is burning more calories than she is taking in, does that make sense? My son is 10 months and at 7 months finished an 8 oz bottle in probably about 8 minutes. And that was a slow nipple, somewhere around 8 months I changed to a level 2. And with solid food, maybe she is bored with the same old thing?? Hard to say with babies.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I uset to be scared my daughter wasent getting enough to eat because everytime she ate it would be like 3 bites and she was done but her peditriction told me as long as im giving her milk to her and she is taking it okay not to force solids on her
    aggheff08

Answer by aggheff08 at 10:54 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• well i think she should be eating more regular foods. do you nurse her before you feed her 'real' food? feed her first, and then nurse her afterward (for dessert lol). are you still feeding her babyfood? try giving her finger foods. it should be soft enough that you can smoosh it easily between two fingers, but firm enough that you can still pick it up. are you giving her a wide variety of food? maybe she's bored with the choices.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Maybe only nurse for 10 min then offer food. It could help some. Avacado's are good at helping with weight so try some of those whenever you can. I wish you luck and hope you find something that works.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 10:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Maybe consider switching to formula she may not be getting enough
    aggheff08

Answer by aggheff08 at 10:57 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Can you get her to nurse more frequently? Every 3 hours is not very much. Getting a few extra breastfeedings in each day just may do the trick!

Don't listen to the person who says "feed her real food first then breastfeed" NO NO NO! Breastfeed first, always! Your breastmilk is much higher in fat and calories and nutrients than most of the solids you are giving. What she needs more of is breastmilk!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• good luck
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 11:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2010