Due to late start time of school (being a working mom) how exactly do you put a 35 pound, very petite, 5 year old on a school bus that has no child restraint seats? I am told they are not required by law. Hmmm I am required by law when she is in my vehicle to have her in a child restraint seat. I am very nervous about this.

momofbrooklynn

Asked by momofbrooklynn at 10:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No buses have ever had restraints or seat belts. My nephew is just 40 pounds and is 5, he rode the bus this last year for pre-K. It will be okay. The nervous feelings are normal. If it wasn't about this, it would be about something else.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• You do have a point there.
    elisabellaguna

Answer by elisabellaguna at 10:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Oh,I can not agree w/you more! Something very fishy about that,huh? I drive my kids to school for now but I am disturbed at this fact.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 10:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Unless u can make other arrangements u wil have no choice. Cuz u can get in trouble if u don't send her. U figure we all made it w no deatbelts! Itl b ok. Once the 1st day comes & goes u can breathe a lil easier! ;)
    mama2evan

Answer by mama2evan at 10:57 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• check with the school, but I know a lot of them now have this harness thing that she can wear that clicks to the seat. like how the newer carseats have that strap that clips right to the seat on those little metal loops (then the other strap goes over the back to the other loop) drawing a blank on what that is called, but it's how I have my seats installed for my kids.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I never actually thought about that.. I used the ride the bus as a kid, and it wasnt so bad. Buses to go really slow all the time, I dont think theres a need to worry
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 10:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• YOU KNOW WHAT??? Ds is starting K this year,, and I asked the same thing, another mom is going to take him and I am going to pick her son up with mine,, perhaps I am overprotective, but how can that be safe, to put a little kiddo with no seatbelt etc?? Plus there would be ALOT of older kids riding the same bus,, and no thank-you,, so it did cause drama, but I got it worked out,, I just asked the school for the names and phone numbers of the parents my son was going to school with, we have met a few times and been to her house and she to mine, so I feel it is going to be okay! Can you believe how the time flies???
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• some of the newer busses do have seatbelts, but i guess their reasoning is that a bus is much bigger than a car and if they get into a crash, usually you are generally safer in a bigger vehicle. out of the school bus crashes i have heard about, it was rare that a kid got hurt. it never made sense to me either.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• School buses have those cushy seats that supposedly act like air bags- I will say, since school buses are higher up, larger, and bright yellow, they tend to be more visible, and the kids don't often get that hurt in accidents- it's usually the other car, or the bus driver who gets injured. Look into before school programs- some schools even have them in house
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 10:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Very true. We live right around the corner from my daughters school and they expect them to walk. They want my FIVE year old to walk to school. They are absolutely crazy! I'll be driving them.
    mommyxdos

Answer by mommyxdos at 11:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2010