Do you throw away a lot of food?

It seems like to me in my house we waste a lot of food. Do you do that? How to you keep from doing it? Help me to stop wasting my money.

mmmegan38

Asked by mmmegan38 at 11:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Only buy what you need for the meals you will prepare that week.
    Plan out what you will fix and when before you go to the store.
    Make a list based on you meal plan and stick to it.
    Keep track of how much your family eats and don't buy extra portions.
    Keep a check on veggies and fruits and any other perishables. Before things go bad figure out something you can make with them or prepare them to freeze.
    Bones can be saved and used for making homemade stock so that you don't have to buy broth/stock for recipes. You can even freeze the broth if you don't need it right away. I even use veggie scraps to throw in with the bones when I make stock to get more nutrients and flavor packed in.
    Consider ways to use leftovers in another meal or just plan on eating them for lunch.
    Use any food scraps for compost...we have a "stray" cat that we can't formally adopt (no pet policy), but we love it and feed it anyways.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 11:38 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• No. We do really well with eating leftovers.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I only cook for myself. Since I cannot stand leftovers, I feed the extra bits of food to my dog or to my cat.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 11:28 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• gee, i'm always throwing away something bc my 2yo is picky eater and will play with his food or do something else instead of eat it. and i must admit i have lost track of a couple of packages of meat or chicken and they went bad and i had to throw them away. i was realllly pissed about that! but idk what to do either..... i have a side by side and my freezer can barely hold ice cream and veggies..... don't have room in there for meat
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:28 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Not really. My husband eats the leftovers, when we have them. I do throw away a lot of opened things whenever we move.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• We are very wasteful. I put leftovers in the fridge but no one eats them.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 11:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• We seem to go in pahses, but I find that that happens depending on my desire to cook;)
    I cook extra so that dh has leftovers for lunch, it dosen't seem fair that he goes off to work for 12 hr shifts with a sandwich and an apple so he takes a big lunch usually with a meal. I also freeze excessive leftovers in portions so he can have them when I have my no cooking moments.
    My son especially does not like leftovers. Sometimes what I'll do at the end of the week is put out what's left and they can serve themselves, buffet style, his favorite restaurant, lol
    I'll also take veggies that we may not get to before they are no good and make a veggie broth that I use when in cooking moods.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 11:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• The cat gets little bits of leftover meats usually there is just a very small amount...she also gets the chicken skin that we don't eat.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 11:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I either make meals for no left overs or I double up and freeze left overs. left overs also make super lunches for little ones.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 11:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Not really - anything we don't eat the dog will, and anything the dog won't eat is true garbage.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2010