Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When someone is trying to get their Adult Diploma, do they have to start all over on credits?

My bf dropped out of hs his junior year. He had around 20 credits. The Army says he join if he gets a GED and 15 college credits OR get his Adult Diploma. So if he goes to obtain his diploma, they said its 22 credits to get it. Would he have to start all over, or just finish up the couple credits he needs?? Thanks

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in

Answers (6)
  • If they still have his records from school he can continue with what he had. If there is a community college near you call and ask they sometimes run the program to help drop outs get there diploma. Also the army recruiter will give him info what to go. Call his high school for records

    Answer by Claudiomom at 11:38 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

  • Not sure. Contact your school district for adult education information. I would think he would just need to take the classes required in your state that he missed that total 22.

    Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:38 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

  • Honestly, he just needs to finish up what he needs. We have some of our kids who got their GED, and some graduated from highschool and are in college. The diploma is valid and does not say GED on it. It's good no matter which route he goes, and NOBODY asks... did you get your GED or highschool diploma. One of our kids that finished with a GED because many of his credits were done as a homeschooler, and it counts and is considered as valid as a high school diploma. One dropped out WAY too early, but went in the national guard and got his GED that way. Just go for the GED, it honestly doesn't matter if it is a GED or adult diploma. Future employers are NOT going ot ask him to elaborate on his diploma! It's perfectly acceptible if trying to enter college, too. Sadly, I know this from all angles. :)

    Answer by pam at 11:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

  • I would like to say Thank You for his service to the United States. If you and he can confirm how many credits it would take to finish college, I would do that first. If you join the military with a college degree completed, you can apply to be an Officer which pays 4 to 5 times higher pay then an Enlisted soldier, sailor, airman, marine and coast guard. Yes, there is a lot more pressure to keep your team in check, but the pay is really worth the wait. If he wants to go in right away and take advantage of the GED program, remember that any education you want to pursue while on active duty, is paid in full by the Department of Defense, then he would have to apply to go into the Office Training Camp, which for the Air Force and in the city I live in. Good luck. Again, Thank You for wanting to protect our wonderful Country. G-d Bless.


    Answer by Joeygoat at 11:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

  • start making phone calls monday morning

    Answer by queen.bee at 11:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

  • I work in an Adult Education and Literacy Program at our local community college (Missouri). When someone enters into a GED program, they will test the student in several areas to see what they have already mastered and where they need to start with classes. They will also test periodically to see how much progress is being made in order to advabce to the next level. The credits from high school don't enter into it at all, just what he actually learned from the classes. It is possible to take the GED exam without taking the classes, however I wouldn't recommend this as few pass it this way. At the very least, a period of review would be advisible. We offer classes and when the student feels ready to take the test, they take a one-week GED prep class. He should find the local GED program, usually offer at a high school or other educational facility, and sign up for the classes

    Answer by mikesmom65270 at 11:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.