my 9 day old baby sleeps soo much!! She will sleep and sleep even when she should be eating

she is a hard sleeper and wont wake up for anything. I try to wake her up to feed her but she will go up to 6 hours. Is that bad should i try harder or maybe ask the doctor about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let her sleep.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 11:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I'd talk to your doc about it but not be over alarmed if she is eating enough when she's awake. how many times a day is she sleeping for six hours?
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• you could try to wake her up by changing her diaper and taking off her swaddle. if you need to, you could strip her down and just have her in her diaper. they always told me 4 hours max. (but i nursed..... are you ebf? i'm not sure the time guidelines for formula babies)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I used to sit and watch to make sure DD was breathing she would sleep so long and so hard. I just have a good sleeper. I was worried she needed to wake up to eat.

Leave her alone. She will wake up when she is hungry. It's easy to worry in the early days. Your baby is fine. I bet you have a good sleeper too.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I had to strip my youngest down to his diaper and sometimes even rub a cool wash cloth over him to get him to eat. He was just a good sleeper.

Baby will eventually wake up more and more. I would ask the doctor about it at her next appointment. But I would guess that the doc won't be concerned as long as the baby is gaining weight.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• newborns never sleep to much
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:50 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• you can also feed her in her sleep if you are worried about it, most babies will take a breast or bottle even while sleeping. Plus if you are formula feeding she can go longer.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My daughter did this too and she was not gaining an appropriate amount of weight at her 6wks apt. They diagnosed her with failure to thrive and eventually I had to put her on formula. I woudnt let her go more than 2 hrs with out eating if I were you. Also, let her doctor know.
    tharealty2

Answer by tharealty2 at 11:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Let that baby sleep! Check on her ofcourse, but let her sleep. My son did the same thing, he slept and slept and slept..now at 9 months old..I wish he would sleep haha
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 11:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I'm an nicu nurse. Is she gaining weight? Have you been to the Pedi? How is your milk supply? I think you should wake her until you can determine that she is gaining weight, or she will get the label of failure to thrive. Most kids who are not eating enough will be unhappy. Is she jaundiced?
    You can PM me if you'd like-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:00 AM on Aug. 7, 2010