Do military funerals....

Differ from "normal" ones? If so, how? TIA

MacyKaysMommy

Asked by MacyKaysMommy at 11:59 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• They do have they 21 one fun salute but that's all I know. The only military one I went to was when I was 8 and I can't remember much besides the guns.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:00 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• VERY different

There is a level of formality that you normally don't see. THere is a color guard, the flag drapped over the coffin, and the horrid 21 gun salute. At the grave site, there is the ceremony of folding and presenting the flag to the parents/wife/next of kin as well as any medals of honor they wish to bestow.

The freedom riders where at the last one I attended.. It is very emotional
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 12:03 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• It all depends on the service they did and there rank... Also if they were killed in war.. My friend grandpa served in WWII and he recently passed, he recieved the 21 gun salute and his family recieved an american flag they hung at his service
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 12:03 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• A little, they have the gun salute and the presentation of the flag...Attended my father in laws service few months ago..
    sam223

Answer by sam223 at 12:03 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• A military honor guard is part of a military funeral. The 21 gun salute, the person playing Taps, the Flag draped coffin, the Harley Motorcycle giving a honorable procession. If you know of any veterans who are in need of burial services, check with your local Veterans Administration and apply for the death benefit. The VA will pay for the funeral, internment and the headstone. All military veterans who received an Honorable Discharge is eligible for this at one any number of Military Cemetery's.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 12:11 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• There are a LOT of differences. As the pp's have said, there's the gun salute (not always the "21 gun"), the draping of the flag over the coffin, presenting the flag to the family, etc.

There are other more specific details that differ, depending on the person's rank, if they were on Active Duty, etc. Things like a military chaplain there for the family (to preside over the funeral or in addition to civilian clergy), a military honor guard (they may or may not serve as pallbearers, depending on the wishes of the family), etc. Occasionally there will be a "missing man" formation flyover, and if they're very Senior in rank there could be a riderless horse accompanying the procession - though those 2 things are pretty rare.

Also, you can also contact the Patriot Riders - they will shield a funeral - for free, from protesters - whether you have a military or civilian service. They're not military - just compassionate...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:48 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I have to admit I was a little curious as to why you were asking, like if it was for research or curiosity, or if it was from a personal loss, so out of my own curiosity, I looked at your profile and saw your other question...

I am SO sorry for the loss of your friend! As a Vet and as the wife of a career service member, I would like to respectfully encourage you to have a military service for him. Obviously, his service to his country was important to him, and to you all, and while it will NEVER replace him or fill the hole left by his loss, it's the closest thing that the military can do to show their own thanks and appreciation and grief at the loss of a hero, and it's one that I'm sure he would appreciate. Also, please look at the Patriot Riders, they are truly amazing and can be a Godsend as far as possible protesters go... but they won't come unle
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:08 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• sorry - that said they won't come unless invited - they're a non profit group, not affiliated with the military. If you scroll down their page a little way, you can see on the left hand side where you can contact them for your State. You don't have to join them to have them come, and it doesn't cost anything.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:09 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Thank you ladies, I appreciate all of your answers. I was curious because a friend of mine was killed in Afghanistan last week, while serving in Operation Enduring Freedom! He is being laid to rest tomorrow, and I was just wondering what to expect, this being my first military funeral. He was a Sergeant in the Army. It's never easy losing someone, but I must say that I have never been more proud to know a person. He is a true hero, and he will be missed greatly!!

Sailorwifenmom- Thank you so much for your service to our country! You definitely have my greatest respect, and my heartfelt gratitude for what you do! Also, thank you for all of your help, tonight! God bless you!
    MacyKaysMommy

Comment by MacyKaysMommy (original poster) at 1:56 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I have been to many "regular" funerals in my lifetime, but I was never as moved as when I attended the military funeral of a co-worker's 18 year old son, who was killed in Iraq. It was an incredibly somber yet stoic and patriotic service. Seeing all of the young men in uniform and the soldier saluting at his casket brought me to tears instantly.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:00 PM on Aug. 7, 2010