Do you know when your child is lying? If so, how can you tell?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 12:45 AM on Aug. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have a grandson who lies if his mouth is open! Unless a child is a compulsive liar it's sort of easy to tell. If they won't look you in the eye, that's a pretty good sign.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:27 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Yes, he gets a shit eating grin on his face. I don't have to worry about him lying to me, he eventually tells me what he does anyway.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:48 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• well my 10yo does not lie if he trys he always tells on himself, I love that about him. My 5yo however every time she opens her mouth you pretty much can bet it is a lie, she usually smiles but the thing is if they are fighting we always know who to believe
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 12:55 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Yes, I can tell when my kids are lying. It's not the same for each kid though, and honestly, it's not something I can really put my finger on and say "when they do this and this I know". It's more that their general body language, tone of voice, behavior while they're doing it, etc differs from the way they normally are.

Though I do have to say that I think a lot of the "signs someone is lying to you" stuff put out there is crap, because so much depends on the person and their normal mannerisms. For example, they say if you don't make eye contact or look away, that's a sign of lying.. Well, I do that all the time (habit from when I was growing up as an abused kid for lots of reasons) - it doesn't mean I'm lying - it's just how I am. LOL - though people do know when I try to lie, because I suck at it - I can't ever come up with good or believable ones lol.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:56 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Oh, lol - I should add that the good thing is, when my kids were little I was able to pretty much always catch them when they tried to lie, and they know that no matter what they did, lying about it is always going to be worse - that whole personal honor and integrity thing... - so they're pretty upfront and honest with me.

lol - to the point that my ds even, in a very roundabout way, tried to get my permission to skip school at lunch to hang with his girlfriend... LOL - needless to say, I said no... (and yes, I know he didn't do it anyway)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:59 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• my 4 year old covers his head when he's lying LOL

my 3 year old bats her eyelashes when she's lying
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:17 AM on Aug. 7, 2010