Am I asking for this type of abuse because I moved into their area?

I put up another question about a situation that I am in it's called "racism in daycare" and it's posted in the general parenting category. Basically I live in an Armenian area where almost all are armenian and have been a sahm for 2 yrs and now looking at daycares for my dd. I am getting alot of racist comments re being told we are not welcomed in heir daycare facilities because we are not the same culture. Do you think I deserve or should have expected this just because we are a different culture? BTW I am Hispanic, my SO is Japanese and our dd is 22mths.

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 12:54 AM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• No, you do not deserve that! That's discrimination, and I'm surprised they're getting away with it! This is not Armenia, are they unaware of that?
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:57 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• No you and your child do not deserve that. I am so sorry you have to go through that
    youngmomma021

Answer by youngmomma021 at 12:59 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I would try to find a new daycare. Or maybe ask someone for help. I went through the headstart with the problem my dd and I did not speak spanish.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 1:00 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• omgosh, I can't believe poeple! NO you don't deserve that and no one deserves that. That is sooo rude! I would definetly complain and they're are laws! I'm sure they can't legally do that. I would complain and/or bring it up to someone that can explain the legal system to them and maybe invesitgate them.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 1:01 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I'm actually just ready to move to a whole new city completely because majority of the daycares here are the same. I feel bad for their kids
    ProudMammaMia

Comment by ProudMammaMia (original poster) at 1:02 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I'm sure you did not ask for it. But if they don't want you there I guess you should just find a place that wants your child there. You'd hate to push people to do things they don't want. Your child will end up suffering in the end. Best wishes to you and finding a quality daycare facility.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 1:05 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I'm sorry sum ppl r so ignorant...but there r ppl like that everywhere. U shouldn't have to move beacuse of them. I'm sorry for what they r puttn u n ur family through. Hang in there, n dnt let them put u dwn. Especially in front of ur babay
    steph_parker

Answer by steph_parker at 1:05 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• If you feel bad for their kids because they go to these daycares, why does it matter that they don't want you using their facilities? You don't have to answer but if your talking down about them why would you want your own children there, I certainly wouldn't even try to enroll my child in any daycare, especially one where I feel bad for the children that attend.

Also, they may do some things differently, so I'd find a more diverse daycare if I were you.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:06 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I think it's wrong and disgusting, and it shouldn't be tolerated. However, I also have to say, I would be very scared to force them to not discriminate against me / leave my kid there, because I would be afraid of abuse or neglect. There are SO many ways that a person like that could make a child's life miserable.

However, I would be tempted to filing a complaint with whoever is responsible for licensing daycares in your area.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:13 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Domonique the reason why I feel bad for their children is because of the fact that they are surrounded with adults thy that are so close minded. All children are innocent and beautiful and it makes me sad that they are not getting allowed to learn about other cultures and other people. They are taught they are better. I'm not putting them down I'm putting down their way of thinking. Their facilities are greT but after finding out about how thy feel about people of other cultures then of course I wouldn't want my dd there. You have to understand that I have been to many daycares and most have the same point of view. Not only am I upset be ause of what I'm hearing but the fact that it's so hard for me to find daycare and becoming a career woman again. This is not easy
    ProudMammaMia

Comment by ProudMammaMia (original poster) at 1:15 AM on Aug. 7, 2010