I just tried to check my gmail with google....

and they say there is suspicious activity and need my phone number before they allow me access. They have no number listed for me, how do they know it's me? I heard them doing this periodically to people on the news. How do I get by without giving my cell number out?
It should be illegal to faulsly withhold an account for a phone number not even on record with them.

tryin2BGOOD

Asked by tryin2BGOOD at 1:16 AM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• Well, for starters, I researched it and found out that Google will do this. It wasn't a phishing email or anything, it was directly on the gmail.com website. I don't know. If they were phishing, they didn't get much. I deleted that e-mail address anyways, and I recently got a new phone number.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:23 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Someone could have been phishing. I would report it to Google
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 1:18 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• call customer service or create another account and email them from that one. I wouldn't give them my number but if worse comes to worse make up a number.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:18 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I had this same exact thing happen to me. I was like, "Wtf?". I entered my phone number, and they allowed me access. It was weird. it ended up that my e-mail address was being used as a return address for spam e-mail. When you go in there, look at your Sent mail, and I can almost bet you you'll have sent e-mails that you did not send. They closed it so that whoever was forging my e-mail address didn't have access to my account. I looked it up, and it's fairly common. I just deleted the entire account and made a new one.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:19 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Actually, no, what happened was that they texted me a code to enter in on the log-in. Somehow, that was proving it was me. I checked my computer for viruses and such, and there was nothing.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:20 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Hopw do you knopw it wasn't them who put that mail in there so they could get your number. My number is not listed, it's a cell I got after the account and my father asked me not to put my parent's number. Do you know they sale our names and numbers?
    tryin2BGOOD

Comment by tryin2BGOOD (original poster) at 1:21 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• If you're uneasy about doing it, don't. I was glad I did just because I was able to see that e-mails were being sent to every single person in my address book, or anyone that I had ever exchanged e-mail with on that site. It was embarrassing, and I had to tell everyone not to open it, that it wasn't from me.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:25 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I gave my number but it was a listing within my inbox where they failed delivery attempts to all my contacts listed.
    tryin2BGOOD

Comment by tryin2BGOOD (original poster) at 1:28 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I have been with gmail for oh goodness lost count... but anyways I have NEVER been asked for my phone number.

report it to google
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:28 AM on Aug. 7, 2010