i was wondering my fathers mother had fraternal twin boys no one else in my family has had twins what are my chances of having twins i am 8 weeks along and havent had an ultrasound yet..

Asked by melis1029 at 6:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• as good as anyone elses... no increased chance with history..

Answer by momma_2_3 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• twins skip a generation so looks good for you! twins happen about 1 in 80 pregnancies. good luck!

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 8:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Twins run in my family on my Mom's side in every generation on Mom's side there are twins. Thankfully I was not the one in my family to have the twins, but I AM a twin. I am told the Mom's history of twins is what determines your chances of having them. I"m probally wrong though.

Answer by vbruno at 8:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Understanding Genetics: Human Health and the Genome
    Why do fraternal twins run in the family but not identical twins? It makes sense once we understand the differences between the two types of twins. ... -

Answer by vbruno at 8:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• pretty good. it skips a generation. we have twins in our family. i was one.

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:26 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• supposedly fraternal twins run in families, the mothers side as its the mother tendancy to release more than on egg. identicals just happen cause nobody yet knows why a fertilized egg will split. i have identical girls and nobody we know of in either family ever did.

Answer by mrspierce06 at 8:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• My mother was a twin but her brother died at birth or before birth or something and otherwise no other twins in my family but i just foun out im having twins so i think your chances are as good as anyones. It really just depends on your body, imean mine just decided to drop two eggs, i didnt do anything special or different then when i concieved my first son who was not a twin. Good Luck!

Answer by youngmum87 at 12:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2010