how so i keep my ex out of my life

he was abusive not to the boys just me how do i stop them from seeing him if i can

kenzie24143

Asked by kenzie24143 at 1:36 AM on Aug. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• try filing a restraining order.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 1:37 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• tried he broke my ribs
    kenzie24143

Comment by kenzie24143 (original poster) at 1:40 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I don't know that you can keep him away if he never abused or abuses them. You may have to get a protective order which includes the kids but you would need to prove the abuse and Lord knows it is not easy to prove. Your word vs. his. Try to keep your cool with the kids re: your ex ...no bad mouthing, they have their own opinions. If he is ever violent towards you again think about getting a protective ordr and contacting your local family resource center for free legal advocacy.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 1:42 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Damn him.... I know it's not always an option, but really seriously, move like 2 states away. Make new friends, start a new life...
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 1:42 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• unfortunately since you had kids by him, there's no way to "keep him out of your life" He has a right to his kids. I know it sucks but it's the law.

Do you have the police report from when he abused you? You did file right? Without proof, sadly there is nothing you can do
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:46 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Call your local women's shelter. They can help you start over in a new place far, far away from your ex. Sorry you had to go through that. Make sure a restraining order is on file - you can file one on behalf of the kids, too.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 1:47 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I agree with the above statement
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 1:47 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• i did move from manhattan to durham NC
    kenzie24143

Comment by kenzie24143 (original poster) at 1:48 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• How did he know where u moved to.When u move again don't contact him or his family. If u do you might as well move back with him. Don't have any contact with him.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 1:51 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Get a lawyer and have them take care of it for you.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:52 AM on Aug. 7, 2010