what age for talking?

My son is 14months old and only says Mama and Dadda. He won't dp ot if I ask. The doctor said he should be saying 6 or so words by now. what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He'll pick up more words as he goes. I wouldn't worry about it too much. My grandma told me "walking by one, talking by two" If you want him to learn more words, I would read to him every night. That might help a little bit. Also try talking to him about what your doing, whether it be vacuuming, making dinner or typing on the computer. Kids are interested in that stuff.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 1:59 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• At about 14 months, my son was ony saying a few words too. Then his vocabulary just exploded and he was learning new words so fast! Don't worry mama. His brain is probably working on other things right now...so much to learn, and only so many hours in the day to learn it all!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:02 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Thanks ladies, this whole answer/questions things really helps ease the mind!
    Be blessed!
    Fallon_Long

Answer by Fallon_Long at 2:04 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Usually kids focus on learning motor skills first or language skills. That's certainly the case with my toddler. She's 20 months and ahead in her motor skills, but she has a small vocabulary. She understands everything we say to her. it's just a matter of her learning how to express herself better.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:34 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• it alll depends on the child. Have they checked his hearing. My daughter started saying Momma and dadda and even nanna and botel by 9 months then one day she stoped talking and non of the doctors said anything about it. Then when we went for her physical for head Start we found out she couldn't hear. When she was almost three she got tubes in her ears and now she is 4 and starting to talk at a 3 year old level. If you are worried just have his hearing checked to see if its that. If its not his ears he might be just concentrating on other things but I would deffenatly check the hearing
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I think your doc is off his rocker :) lol..Most of the 14 month olds i know cant say 6 words. I wouldnt worry. Just talk to him and read to him alot. He will get it :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:48 AM on Aug. 8, 2010