Is there any way to stop a cat from spraying?

I have a male cat about 2-3 months old and just started to spray. And now my other kitten(female) is peeing where he sprays! She is litterbox trained.....is she doing that just because she thinks hes peeing? What do I do?!

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 1:58 AM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Pets

• Are you sure he's 2-3 mo old? Most cats don't reach sexual maturity until they are much older (6 - 8 mo) and that is when they start spraying. Is he doing it on vertical surfaces? Vertical surfaces is marking, horizontal surfaces could mean a UTI. I'd take him to the vet and see what they say. Make sure to have a urine sample checked. If everything looks good, get him scheduled for a neuter as soon as you can (most are performed at about 6 mo of age, but it can be done sooner).
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 11:43 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Neuter ASAP!! You don't want him developing this habit so strongly that he keeps doing it after he is fixed. If you can only afford one cat, do the male first. Males are usually cheaper too - less invasive surgery.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:07 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• get your cats spayed and neutered. That helps a lot
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 2:00 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• We just got these cats 2 weeks ago. We do plan on getting them both fixed soon. I hope that helps!
    Lobelia

Comment by Lobelia (original poster) at 2:03 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I would make tht apt fast b4 he gets tht bad habbit and continues to do it in the house...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 8:16 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• No, I'm not sure how old he is. He is a stray I picked up 2 weeks ago. The only time I saw him spraying, he did it on a towel that was on the floor.
    Lobelia

Comment by Lobelia (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• My cat does this too, I can not keep a bathroom rug by the tub, everytime I put one down she pees on it, I am going to get her fixed too.
    kitty068

Answer by kitty068 at 1:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2010