When is the best time to start giving your baby, Baby food?

Been having this debate with the in laws the think my 4mth old should start eating baby food, I feel it's when my doctor says she's ready (which he said it would be at about 6mths). What do you think?

DTORRES323

Asked by DTORRES323 at 3:27 AM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I feel you should listen to your doctor. But as a mom with 3 children of her own which are older I feel you can start between 4 & 5 months because some babies drink too much formula because there hungry. If you find yourself giving your baby one to many bottles then maybe once a day or twice a day try feeding the baby some baby food. Make sure you try it with a spoon though because you don't want thee baby getting to used to eating out of a bottle feeder. If you see the baby can't eat like that then wait awhile until he or she can. Or you may want to try baby cereal at night or in the morning if you havent done that yet. The choice really is yours I grew up in a house that was old school so when you have a mom and gramma trying to tell you what to do as on feeding you learn to make your own decisions quick youll get it theres really no right or wrong to that. Don't sweat it you'll do fine no worries.
    apiegurl

Answer by apiegurl at 9:26 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I think it depends on your baby. I had a big baby (almost 10lbs) and she grew really fast so I had to give her cereal at 4 months because I couldn't keep up with her demands. So, but if you feel more comfortable waiting, and your doc says to wait, I would listen to your doc.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 3:31 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• No matter what, you should NOT start solids until 6 months. They have done research and have discovered their digestive system can NOT handle it before the age of 6 months. Plus introducing solids before that, can cause food born allergies, that they other wise wouldn't have developed. There's no hurry it's only a 2 month wait...and it's best for your baby :) I had a 10 pound baby also, and yes, he was a big eater but that just meant increasing his formula (I didn't breast feed due to physical reasons).
    aidansmyheart

Answer by aidansmyheart at 7:22 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• 6 months and beyond.
    pvtjokerus

Answer by pvtjokerus at 6:54 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I also think that it depends on your baby's readiness, I started my child when he was almost 6 months as his doctor advised, however, many of my relatives and friends started their own babies at 4 months and their children are just find and healthy.

mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 6:40 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• that depends on you. if you don't feel right then don't do it. but i started my kids when i had to switch from the four ounce bottles to the six in one month. so they have been eating homemade baby food since two months old.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 7:14 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Take what your doc says, what your inlaws say, and what we all say, and think about it. Then follow your own instincts as a mom. The only thing I would be concerned about is that your inlaws are already in your business about how to raise your baby, and that needs to stop before it gets too out of hand. YOU are the mom. It's up to you.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:31 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Things I feel have changed in the last 6yrs since my youngest was a baby-but all three of my kids started solids by 3mths of age.
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 6:40 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• No sooner than 6 months. And even then all babies REALLY need before 12 months is formula/breastmilk. Giving them baby food before then is just to introduce them to texture and flavors, which can wait till they are older.
    The younger you introduce anything other than formula/breastmilk the higher risk of allergies and other issues.
    Your baby only has one life. As much as you'd like to see them grow, you also don't wanna take it to fast.
    I would just listen to your dr, do your own research, and follow your mommy instincts.
    Good luck and tell your inlaws that its YOUR BABY and to BUTT OUT! If you wnt advice, you will ask :)
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 9:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2010