Do women still get perms?

I'm not talking about the old fashioned tight frizzy perms, but looser curl ones. I was thinking about getting one and just wondered what experiences people have had with them. Also what is the going rate for a perm?

SophiaofLight

Asked by SophiaofLight at 5:03 AM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• it can run from $50 and on up typically for a perm.. (pending on texture, density, length, etc).

sophia.. before you get a perm.. try curling it with the curling iron.. if it holds, you can talk to your stylist about options for a perm.. if it doesn't and falls out in minutes... your hair may be too fine, and a perm could overly damage your hair.

with fine hair your hair may not even have a medula(typical is baby fine natural blonds), and thus a perm may be a waste of money.. (which is why I said to try with curling iron first).

if it holds for a while before completely falling out then talk to your stylist about the condition of your hair to see if it is still an option..

if you want loose curls look around for places that specialize in this.. some have special larger rods (like large roller set rods) with special clasps for perms just of this nature or a number of newer techniques.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:49 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Yes! If it is done correctly you will look great. Talk to your hairdresser.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 5:04 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Hey,Me too! I have this hair they call,Good hair and I hate it! It's limp,flat and when I style it,it last for the better of a few seconds. I like long large flowing curls but my perms in the past usually turn out as waves since my hair is so "good"(~sarcasim!) LOL.
    I'm board w/streight hair too.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 5:49 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• i have naturally curly hair that is in the tight little ringletts..it looks like what they call a boomerang perm..when i want softer more flowing curls like you are talking about i ask for a relaxer and it leaves them just wavy...also the going rate for perms are around 65..
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 7:15 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I have naturally curly hair, not real tight curls. I used to get perms to control it...LOL... once I had my BFF who owns a salon do the style were they only perm every other section and kinda straighten the left over so it is just wavy... came out AWESOME! .... now, I just leave it natural...

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:28 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I have one friend that still gets perms and it looks terrible. I think that a loose perm could look nice, but the tight perms are really out of date IMO.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:19 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I had a perm in 2005. It cost me $80 but the price depends on the length of your hair. Find a good hairdresser and talk to them about it.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 7:58 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• My hair is just so fine and flat that I can't do anything with it, that is why I was thinking of a loose curl perm.
    SophiaofLight

Comment by SophiaofLight (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• actually yes, but they are done differently sometimes.. some people are using sponges and other newer techniques now for that soft new teenage pop star curl..

Personally I already have curly hair, so I don't bother trying to put it through more damage than it needs. lol. Besides, I own several curling irons and it only takes 15-30 mins tops to get that same look.. and if I don't want to wear it that way, it only takes me 10-15 minutes to straighten it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:42 AM on Aug. 11, 2010