my first child, i have some questions!

I had my son exactly six months ago and he is my first. I have been told he is very "alert" for his age but does that mean anything other than alert? if this is normal behavior then let me know. but for example....

1. he is saying "hello mama" and has been able to for the past 2 months.
2.can crawl fowards and backwards and turn on his tummy.
3. knows his name amongst almost 10 other words in english and understand them.
4. can pick up and throw things with both hands.
5. pays very close attention to noises and sounds.
6. can sit up by himself from laying down and stay up.
7. tries to talk all the time.
8. he points to his toes when you say "toes".

as well as many more.

momamay2010

Asked by momamay2010 at 7:56 AM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OMG YOUR KID IS A GENIUS! PUT HIM ON OPRA! ... just kidding. sounds like a ham.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• whats a ham?
    momamay2010

Comment by momamay2010 (original poster) at 8:02 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• she meant he sounds like an entertainer, a ham for comedy.
    If you've been playing w/ him alot & talking to him w/ a regular voice, not all sing song & baby babble then yup sounds normal to me. If you've left him in a dark room w/ no talking then nope he's an absolute genius! His development is going to be up to you, the more you talk to him & name things the more he'll understand & respond. My dd was doing the same kinds of things around the same age, she started walking @ 8 mo! (may wanna think about babyproofing if you haven't already!) I started singing the ABC song w/ my dd when she was born & its one of her favorites! We do sign language so she'll put her hands up & start throwing letters all around, its sooo cute! She also likes flashcards, I wrote the capital letters on a white index card on one side & the lower case on the other side. She'll go get her flashcards whenever she wants to play.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:07 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Yes, this can be very normal behavior. All babies develop at different stages and ages, some do things earlier than others. There may be things that he isn't doing yet, that other babies are and yet those babies may or may not be doing the things that your baby is. There are so many milestones that first year, some your baby will do earlier, some later.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:10 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• thanks guys! makes me feel better lol and yes I am a stay at home mom and am with him 247.
    momamay2010

Comment by momamay2010 (original poster) at 8:15 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• He is doing great and sounds really smart! Keep up the good work.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:33 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• "hello mamma" at 4 months? really? can anyone else understand him when he say this? lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• To ANON: My great aunt and uncle were watching me when I had just turned four months and they told my mom I said Momma. She didn't believe them. Well, the next day I said puppy and momma for her. I was saying more before long. So, yes, kids can talk at 4 months.

You child is fine and a little ahead of the curve. Just keep working and interacting with him and talking and pointing things out.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:27 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Sounds normal to me :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:41 AM on Aug. 8, 2010