Do any moms out there feel like they are a single parent even if you technically aren't?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• Every mom has felt that way at times. My husband always worked long hard hours and was away from home a lot. But it didn't mean he didn't love me and the children. He was doing it for us. I think it would be a whole different matter if he had been out with his friends or somewhere else when he had the opportunity to be home with us. What you have to do is make the most of the time that he is around. You have to ask his advice about how to handle the situations that arise when he is gone. We didn't have cell phones or e-mail when our children were little, so even if he's gone a lot now, you can still keep in touch. Call him just to say that you love him. The more effort you put into letting him know that you would like him around more(this does not include nagging), the more anxious he will be to get home to you. Husbands crave appreciation. The more you give, the more you will get.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:16 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• FOR SURE!!! My DH travels often and all of my family lives in a different state. I am a SAHM with two young girls. I feel like I am making and keeping a family by myself... I must say that when he is home he does help out.
    Mameech1

Answer by Mameech1 at 8:01 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Every (*^%%$#$S#$&^%(*&)%^$%#S$#%^$%*&^&&*(%#%*&%^(&)* day! My hubby works 6 days a week & is usually home by 9 pm so no help from him even when he is around!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:02 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• My SO has been with us for 8 years and I still think of myself as a single mom. I'm not sure why, maybe because they are not his kids. IDK.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:05 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• lol oh yeah! I babysit at home, SO works 2-10pm. I do everything: cleaning, cooking, raising the kids,etc. He mows the lawn and washes his laundry, plays with the kids once in awhile. I don't want him to sound like a bad person he's just not the teaching by play and example. More the "Do as I say not as I do" thyp person! lol I'm trying to get him to help more around the house to show our children what partnership is but it's going rather slowly! lol Good luck!
    Mommygoose

Answer by Mommygoose at 8:09 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Yes. I get sometimes it really annoys me. I have an 11 year old son with autism from my first marriage. My DH did not have any kids. When we decided to have one together, I told him that I would really need his help. He still works late and I'm stuck raising two kids (one who feels like three kids in one sometimes) by myself.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:10 AM on Aug. 7, 2010