Is it normal if the vicoden just doesn't cut it?

I had all four widom teeth removed yesterday. Is it normal if the vicoden I was given doesn't really seem to provide much pain relief? I can only take one tablet every 4 hours at most but it only seems to dull the pain for an hour or so.

luvsmysonjames

Asked by luvsmysonjames at 8:27 AM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Health

• Just means your pain is severe. I would call the dentist and see if there is anything you can take in between When I had my hysterectomy, they gave me Vicodins and Motrin 800. I was taking something every 2 hours for the pain.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:30 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I think everyone responds differently to meds. Call your Dr and tell them, they might up the amount or give you something else. Good luck, I had mine pulled a few years back so I know how you feel.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:29 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• yes it normal that happened to me too and i went to my dentist and asked or another pain killer
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 8:30 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• call the dentist
    san78

Answer by san78 at 8:39 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• try taking a half a dose of tylenol and a half dose of motrin. for some reason, this really works with dental pain. Vicodin doesn't work for everyone, beyond the high.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:40 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Ouchie!
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 9:00 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• My husband got the tip of his finger cut off at work last week and the Doc at the Er gave him a prescription for Vicodin when we were leaving......it provided almost no pain relief. I called my brother (who is a pharmacy manager at a hospital in Tx) and he told me that Vicodin is a low dose pain med, all it does is dull the pain.

Call the dentist that did it and ask them for something stronger but whatever you do, don't mix anything else with the vicodin or take more than what you're supposed to.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 9:20 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I had one molar pulled many years ago and they gave me Percocet. Ask for something else.
    morningglory1

Answer by morningglory1 at 9:28 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• not all meds work the same. call your dr and explain the situation, chances are he/she will prescribe another r/x
    kaedrasgma

Answer by kaedrasgma at 12:59 PM on Aug. 7, 2010