how to disipline when nothing works (2.5 year old)

Spanking does not work what so ever for her and niether does time outs. I haven't tried the corner yet though. But if you tell her something she tells you no you spank her butt she will still tell you no. She also has been bitting for over a year now. I have tried spanking her butt for it, I have tried bitting her back (that is what my grandma told me to do) I have tried using a little dish soup on my finger that didn't work, time out, everything I can think of. How do you disipline a child that is like that? Please no bashing I know some don't agree with this kind of disipline, but every parent has there own ways of disiplining.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 9:10 AM on Aug. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I turn his head to the wall, he is two so, he gets to be in timeout silently for 3 minutes. Kids can read their parents emotions and know that if the parents are upset they are eventually going to get their way. Another thing I do with my kids is if they are screaming, I send them to their beds until they get a handle on their screaming no matter how long it takes. Good luck.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:55 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• You need to get your own behavior under control. i found that if I changed my behavior when it came to my son misbehaving,he acted out less. She's having a power struggle with you and winning! When she says no,you remain calm,take her and make her do what you asked,and let her have a fit. Don't get mad and yell or hit. Walk away and let her be mad.After awhile she'll notice she's not getting attention and its not fun anymore. Tell her you'll speak to her when she is calm,and stick to it.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:22 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• See,but in that struggle you gave her the upper hand. If something similar happens,take her to the thing she threw and wrap her hand around it and make her put it back. Then sit her down in timeout. Don't repeat yourself. Give her one chance to listen.And no hitting! Spanking is making her want to control you more.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:46 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• My nephew is just like that. My sister can't handle him and I have no problems. She gets frustrated with him and he can tell so, he starts acting out more to upset her and get his way. He gets it. When I tell him to do something and he doesn't do it then I make him, if I tell him to put a toys away and he tells me "no" I take him by the hand pick up the toy and put it in the toy box and I do that with every single toy until he does it on his own. If he is eating and he gets up from the table after doing it two times, the meal is over and he doesn't get to eat until the next meal or snack. All the kids have the same rules. With me he walks in the store holding my hand, if he squeals I ignore it, with my sister he sits in the buggy destroying things and upsetting my sister. When he doesn't behave he either gets a spanking or facing the wall (timeout.) If it is timeout then I stand behind him and every time he looks away cont...
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:49 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• see we have. This is what happened a month ago she took my nephews cups (6 months younger) I told her to give it back to she threw it on the floor I told her to pick it up 3 times (3rd time she said no) I told her again to pick it up she said no (I was calm when I said it) so I spanked her butt then told her now pick it up she wouldn't. I took her by the hand and pointed and I said now pick it up she started crying and said no again so I spanked her butt again and I said Madison pick it up for Jake she said no. So then I ended up sending her to her room because she would not what so ever pick it up.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 9:34 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I agre with the first post.. The most important thing is not to get into a power struggle. Timeouts are effective, but only if you are willing to be consistant. A good rule of thumb is 1 minute for each year of age. I usually put my granddaughter in her room but...with the door open and usuIly I will stand in the doorway. The rule at my house is if you lose control (the child) the time starts again. I don't bargain and I follow through with what I say. Never say anything that you aren't willing to do.
    kaedrasgma

Answer by kaedrasgma at 12:50 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• 2.5 is a bit young for that kind of discipline, in my opinion. A wap on the hand maybe, but the trick is that if you tell them to do something (that they can do at their age) & they refuse, you must follow through and make them do it. When mine were that age & refused to "obey", we physically picked them up and removed them from the room until they calmed down & did what they were told- I can remember holding my oldest daughter while she screamed and kicked for up to an hour and a half before she calmed down (had to do that to keep her from hurting herself or destroying things in her rages).
    mamahobbit

Answer by mamahobbit at 9:14 PM on Aug. 8, 2010