Mirena and periods?

I have a mirena. It was inserted in February of 2007, after the birth of my daughter. For the past 3 1/2 years, my periods have still shown up like normal. While they have been lighter, it has only been in the past year that they have slowed down to the point where it's mostly spotting with maybe a day of "normal flow." At any rate, I've had some sort of period regularly every month. Until this month. I was due to start this Thursday. The only period-like symptoms I have are breast tenderness and irritability. But I'm aware that those are symptoms of something else too. I am also aware that IUCs can stop your periods. So, do you think it finally has stopped my period? Or do you think it's something else? How long would you wait before making an appointment to see the doctor? I'm never late, so after 2 days, I'm kinda freaking out here.

Eviesmommy

Asked by Eviesmommy at 9:18 AM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Health

• i need 2 pm u lol

san78

Answer by san78 at 9:28 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• i have the mirena to but i got it in may. n ot long ago my perios have also come in everymonth instead f lighte tey seem longer. this month i was supose to get it on he first or the second well i didnt get it until the 6. i had already called my doc and she had said with the mirena they can ge irregular so she toldme to wait about a week or 2 and if it dosn come then to go n make an appointment. but i gt it alrady hopefully you will get it to and it wa sjust late
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 9:27 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I had the mirena from December 2007-June 2009...during that time, I had two periods, January and February of 2008, and then they stopped completely. Freaked me out at first because I was constantly taking a pregnancy test because they forgot to mention to me that my periods could stop that quickly. (I knew they would get lighter, but I didn't know they would stop completely) Have you taken a pregnancy test? I have heard of people getting pregnant with the mirena in, but a lot of times, it causes a miscarriage (not always, but a lot of times it does)....maybe take a test, and if it is still not there take another one...if it doesn't show up after the second test, call your doctor just to confirm that everything is normal.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 9:34 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I knew there was a chance that my periods would stop from the get go. So after 3 1/2 years with the mirena in, and still having a regular period (however spotty it may be), I figured I was just one of the women who's periods weren't stopping. I haven't taken a test yet. I didn't want to freak dh out, when I'm only 2 days late. Heck, I haven't even mentioned to anyone, let alone dh, that I'm late. Not that being pregnant again would be horrible, I really want a second, but I am concerned about what fallenangel said, that if I am with the mirena in, it might cause a miscarriage. Or birth defects. I guess that's why I'm wondering how long is too long to wait to call the doctor?
    Eviesmommy

Comment by Eviesmommy (original poster) at 9:50 AM on Aug. 7, 2010