Sleep Schedules?

For those that are using a sleep schedule, do you have a specific method you are using or loosely following?
At what age did you start your LO on the sleep schedule?

julietelise

Asked by julietelise at 9:26 AM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started mine on a bedtime "routine" when they were both around 2 months of age. Took a while for it to sink it but it helped alot. I tried to make sure that every night around the same time I would give them a bath, hold them and rock them for a certain amount of time, and then lay them down around the same time. There were always interruptions from the routine or they had their own plans but I stuck as close to mine as I possibly could. Now at the ages of 3 and 1, we still have our routine.. dinner, bath, bedtime stories, and bed
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:28 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• We started to have a schedule when my daughter got down to 3 naps (it was a loose one at first, then got a bit tighter as she got used to it.) Before that, I didn't even try.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:36 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I think you should start a sleep schedule the moment you get home from the hospital. Because you want the baby to have there days and nights straight not mixed up which most babies do. Give a bath at night then lay them down to sleep at a good time maybe between 8 & 9 at night. The reason is because you want to sleep yourself. I know from experience if you dont get enough sleep then you will be grumpy the baby will sense that and he or she will be grumpy too. And thats just one thing you dont want. Good luck with the schedule thing its not always easy believe that.
    apiegurl

Answer by apiegurl at 9:36 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• You and your baby may fall into a daily routine. Sleep schedules can be harmful to your baby. There have been babies that have died when they have been left to cio. Sleep rituals can be a lot of bother and disruptive. Babies don't need daily baths or stories. They will fall asleep nursing from the hormones in human milk.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:08 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I always followed my baby's lead. With my first, he tended to go to bed early. At about 10 mo old he would go down for the night at about 6:30 or 7pm. With my current baby, she will not go down for the night before 8pm. I'd prefer a slightly earlier bed time for her, but that is clearly what works best for her.

For all of my kids a routine started to fall into place between 6-12 months old. Babies are really good at getting what they need of we stay out of their way, so I have never set a strict schedule as I find it does more harm then good. They sleep when they are tired. Some days they need more, some less.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:04 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I got so lucky, im a little worried what my second child is going to be like. At about 1 1/2 months old my baby girl would get cranky between 7:30 and 8:30 and she has set her own bedtime within that hour. She is 3 1/2 months now and is still ready for bed around those times. But during the day I have no schedule for naps. Sometimes she will take one nap that is 3 hours and some days she will take 3 naps that are only one hour
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 12:11 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I started around 7 months with my son. He was at the point where he was just waking up due to habit instead of actually being hungry. I used the cio method, but would go in every 5-10 minutes to calm him. It took a couple days and then he started sleeping all night and was happier during the day. He normally goes to sleep around 7 or 7:30pm. It changes thought, depending on if he is teething or going through a growth spurt. Then he normally wakes up hungry. Best of luck!
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 10:49 AM on Aug. 8, 2010