Is it better to ignore distasteful coworkers or be phony to them?

I work with girls who have no work ethics, they have no conscious, they are immature, lack respect for themselves and others, have poor judgement. They get away with things, because as I see it the boss likes younger girls because she is able to manipulate them.
I want to go into work and do my job and have very little contact with them. In the position I am this should not be difficult as long as I can nod my head and say um um when they come to me. But when I enter into work or am changing stations and come across someone walking by what should I do.....ignore them or smile and give a big 'HI'
I would rather ignore them completely, but is this the right way to handle it? What do you suggest?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 10:16 AM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• I find that if you ignore then they call you unfriendly and a snob and it only draws you into their drama I would not do the big, overdone HI! but I would do a bit more than nod- I would smile and say hello and leave it at that. It works really well for me that the people at work have no idea who I like/dislike. I agree with you though- I HATE work drama and I have a hard time with people that love to create drama-it makes work so unpleasant!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:32 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• My motto is, "KIll them with kindness." I would smile and give a courteous hello when you first arrive at work. Then just go about business as usual.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 10:19 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I ignore them.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 10:16 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I would say hi and go about my work. That way they can't be talking behind your back making you out as the bad guy, you don't have to be their friend, just tolerate them with a hi. We have all had them, will never change.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:22 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I would ignore them, but it could end badly. I've had that happen when someone complains about being "ignored," especially younger girls. They can be vicious.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 10:23 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Personally I think that you should be genuinely kind. Treat them by the GOLDEN RULE. Treat them how you would like to be treated. Act nice.. and be friendly. That doesn't mean you have to go out for coffee after work but don't make it miserable for either them or yourself. Remember you may end up either having one of them as a future boss.. or worse. Also think about this..

Treat everyone nice when your going up the ladders of life.. Because they are the same ones you will meet when your going down the ladders.. It would be nice if they felt sad at seeing your misfortunes instead of secretly glad that the snarky old lady finely got what was comming..!
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 10:29 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I would keep contact to a minimum, and you don't have to be extra-friendly (phony) to them, but be civil. Give a nod or small smile just to acknowledge them when they walk by, but don't get dragged into their little group dramas and poor work performance. Just mind your business while maintaining a polite air of professionalism.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:57 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I think completely ignoring them is a bit obvious. I'd nod & keep moving. If they want to chit-chat or were to dare ask me to help them with their work I'd simply tell how COMPLETELY swamped I am with my own work. & then I'd go back to text messaging or whatever bs I might have been doing during my down time, because I'm passive-aggressive like that, lol.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 1:05 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't ignore them completely. I would just be polite.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:19 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• You could do something in between. Nod to them, maybe with a polite grin, and keep on going. You don't want to be fake like them because that's not you. But you don't want to ignore them completely either, especially considering you say your boss has been playing teacher's pet with them. I was in a similiar situation where a boss was playing favorites and letting some people, fake gossiping women, to break the rules. I tried ignoring them and was accused of being anti-social.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:40 PM on Aug. 7, 2010