How do I get my 3 year old son to stop hitting the cat and holding her by it head?

I know it sounds horrible, but he wont leave the cat alone. I so scared that hes going to hurt it. How do i make him leave her alone? I've tried time out, spankings, no tv, and nothing works. HELP

Kable0120

Asked by Kable0120 at 10:19 AM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Model how to treat the cat yourself and see if that helps. Otherwise, for now I would keep him away from the cat.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 10:21 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Does the cat have claws? It's possible that this is one of those situations that the cat will have to teach the lesson on it's own. Basically the same thing happened to my 3 year old with my mom's cat. She's an older cat, doesn't mind being petted and loved on, but my daughter would basically put her in a head lock and purposely pet her backwards. It took the cat smacking her about 3 times on 2 different occasions, and my daughter learned. She no longer messes with the cat other than to pet her. Your son will eventually grow out of it I'm sure.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• well dont know if this helps but i just had a baby and my toddler was being rough out of curiosity , i said gentle kisses and gentle hands , and then when she did that i made a big fuss praising her so she loves it now all she does is be gentle. you could try having a little tub of kitty treats that only he can give to the cat when hes being gentle ? thats all i got for ya good luck itll pass all these things do hey
    maymummy

Answer by maymummy at 10:29 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Our 3 & 4 year old wouldn't leave ours alone either. They didn't hit them or hurt them purposely, but they just constantly harassed them by always having to hold them, pet them & carry them around. We tried everything too. We decided that by constantly telling them to leave the cats alone & making them stay away from them, we were causing them to want to sneak around even more to be with them, so we decided to make them sit on the couch & pet the cats nicely for a long time. When they eventually got bored with it, we made them stay there & pet them. We stayed right there to make sure they were being nice, but every day, this is what we did. First thing in the morning, nor cartoons, no playing, nothing. Right after breakfast, they got to sit on the couch & hold the cats & pet them nicely. The cats loved it but the kids got bored pretty quick. After several days of this, they weren't so interested in the cats & left them alone.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 10:36 AM on Aug. 7, 2010