Is there ANY financial aid for homeschoolers?

Monday we start a new school year (at home), and it just occured to me that there is little to no help for homeschoolers. Most school teachers get a credit card from the school to purchase supplies and contributions from parents for other necessities. There are grants and loans for home childcare businesses, but I just cant seem to find anything for homeschooling parents. For the past two years I've been on a tight budget for supplies; recycling, and sale shopping. I've search the net SOOO many times, but I havent found any helpful resources. Any advise?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 10:22 AM on Aug. 7, 2010 in

• You can get "teacher discounts" and several of the book stores, Barnes & Nobles and Boarders. You can also choose to shop @ their teacher appreciation days. However homeschools in most states are consider PRIVATE schools! It's for that reason there aren't grants or handouts for them. A grant and loans to a home business is much different then a SCHOOL! Stating that home-based daycares can get grants/loans and homeschools can't is really comparing apples to oranges. They are do different things. Be on the look out of deals. For example homeschools can sign up for Pizza Book-It; Often the History Channel, NASA, and other organizations give out free material, dvds, etc (including to homeschoolers). You just have to be on the look out for them. Keep up to date on local events and discounts for homeschoolers. Here in the winter I can take my kids ice skating for $3 (including shoe rental) because we are homeschoolers.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:28 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I do not know of ANY teacher in my area that gets a credit card from the school to purchase supplies. I know I don't. The school does not even provide everything I need and I put a lot of money out of my own pocket. PLUS I contribute to my own childrens' s classrooms.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:29 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Most teachers have to get supplies from parents or they have to buy them out of their own pockets.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:30 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Check with wal-mart.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 10:30 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Teachers that buy supplies for their classrooms can claim up to $250 that they paid out of pocket for classroom supplies as a deduction on their taxes. I have heard that some states will allow homeschoolers to do the same thing, but I'm not sure which states.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:38 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Homeschooling parents can get discounts at any store that offers discounts to teachers. Check with your local school system, they may allow you to borrow text books. If there is a local college that has degree programs for teachers they may have huge amounts of materials including text books that you can check out with your drivers' license. There are many resources free online. I homeschooled 3 children and never paid for anything.

You could take college courses. If you go to a community college you may be able to get enough grant money to pay for your classes and have a lot left over.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:43 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• We don't get tax deductions or money from the school district here in TN, we're on our own for footing the bill. But there are many stores where homeschool families are allowed to get teacher's discounts. Barnes and Nobles is my favorite (even better if it is teacher appreciation week).
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 10:45 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• You have to get creative at times. We make our own worksheets and Power Point presentations on the computer, Google interesting science experiments that use household products, employ the Discovery Channel and The Learning Channel as adjunct curriculum enhancers and go to the library often.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:50 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• In Ohio, teachers don't get anything to help with things they need in the classroom.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:25 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Also check w/the museums etc. Several museums will give homeschoolers free or discounted admission. You just have to ask and be prepared to show documentation that you homeschool if needed. Not every place requires documentation that you homeschool. It really just depends on the museum and your local state laws.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:32 AM on Aug. 7, 2010