What do they do when they tie your tubes?

Is it a minor surgery or do they cut you tummy open like a c-section and tie them?

cleo2582

Asked by cleo2582 at 10:41 AM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Health

• i havnt got it done but they have told me and its minor surgery they let you out that same day if im not mistaken. they jsut do a little cut
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 10:47 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I had my tubes tied after my 3rd daughter, so I can answer this for you.......It's minor surgery, that is done through your bellybutton. And you hardly see the scar, it's great!! MIne was a same-day procedure, and I was released at noon!! I do want to add that I have had MESSED UP periods ever since I had it done.....not sure if it has anything to do with it, but it just seems for me, that since I had it done, I have had nothing but problems menstrual-wise.......Good luck with what you decide to do....
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 10:51 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I had mine done. The made a tiny cut in my belly button and cut my tubes and burned them so they couldn't grow back together. It's minor surgery with barely any pain after, you just have to be a little more careful with the things you do like vacuuming and picking up your kids.

colethky

Answer by colethky at 10:52 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• cfh72......you're not the only one with messed up periods. I also had that problem. They were a lot heavier and lasted a lot longer, my doctor decided to do a D&C and a Nova Sure....that stopped all problems and my period! I haven't had a period in 4 years!!
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 10:54 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• It depends on the doctor. Most go through the belly button. Some cut and cauterize the tubes; others just put clamps on them. It also carries the risk of PTLS afterwards. This is why I had Essure done instead.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:12 AM on Aug. 7, 2010