DD won't eat frozen milk

I have a freezer full of milk. Maybe around 150 Medela bags. I thawed one yesterday and my DD won't eat it!!! I am SO upset! It does have a funky smell and taste. It is not sour. It has sort of a chemical like taste. It is still sweet like fresh milk, but has a weird after taste. My DD sucks a little then makes a "bad tasting" face and does not take anymore.

What do I do??? I am heartbroken if I have to throw out all this milk. Any ideas? I know about the lipase and the scalding. But what to do with the already frozen stuff? Has anyone had this problem and maybe mixed it with something?

jet360

Asked by jet360 at 10:42 AM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never had that problem. My only thought is maybe it tastes a little like plastic. I would play around with the temp of the milk.. maybe a little warmer or cooler. Or try mixing frozen with "fresh squeezed" LOL.
    Is he use to taking a bottle? Or is it just the milk?
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:49 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Some more info: She is bottle fed breast milk, so the bottle is not a problem. The milk smells when still cold, so heating is not causing it. Hummm......
    jet360

Comment by jet360 (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• my dd used to be the same way, i had to pump milk when she was in the hospital and she was not aloud to have any milk at all..so i pumped it and froze it... and i would say about a week after that i tried to give her some of the frozen stuff and she dident like it....i had to throw away i would say 10-20 12 oz bags of milk...
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 10:54 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Freezing can make milk taste different. If you are a working mom you can give rely on refrigerated milk. When your baby is a little older she may take the milk. Once she starts solids the milk may be able to be mixed with something for when you are gone.

If your baby just won't take it and you don't want to waste it there is a website that's called milkshare. It's an informal website that matches up moms that have extra milk with moms whose babies need milk.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:56 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• It sounds like you may have a lipase problem. Some mothers have an excess of the enzyme lipase in their milk, which begins to break down the milk fat soon after the milk is expressed. Most babies do not mind a mild change in taste, and the milk is not harmful, but the stronger the taste the more likely that baby will reject it.

You may need to scald your milk before freezing.

Details at http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/lipase-expressedmilk.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:58 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• That is weird. We never had that issue. Are you using BPA-free bags?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:32 AM on Aug. 8, 2010