Solid Foods with Breastfed baby

My DD is a little over 6 months and has been bf exclusively from day one. We got the okay to start her on baby foods and its not going as well as I'd hoped. She tolerates the oatmeal, and I think she actually likes it now. The first time we introduced anything else was sweet potatoes, last week. She caught a stomach bug that day and immediately threw them all up. We held off on solids and now that she's ready again, she won't eat the sweet potatoes! Do you think she remembers getting sick after eating them? I remember when I was pregnant I got sick off of Kraft mac and cheese so I won't eat it lol. But I don't know if she can remember that kind of thing. I have to pry her mouth open and she doesn't enjoy it. Does this mean she doesn't like it? Or is it just new and will take some getting used to? I love sweet potatoes, my DH doesn't so he thinks she's taking after him and we should switch to something else. Any thoughts?

KenzieQsMommy

Asked by KenzieQsMommy at 10:43 AM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• None of my daughters ever ate baby food. They went straight to small bites of food, a little after ten months.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:46 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• switch to something else as she may be remembering the taste and associating it with throwing up. try something a diff color too, how about bananas? they are one of the first to try a nd sweet so she will like them. Plu as she tolerates them, they are great to mix with hr oatmeal. I used to buy fresh bananas and mash them(they turn very liquidy) and then fed my sont hat. loved em :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:49 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Of course you don't pry her mouth open! There are plenty of other foods. Babies don't need cereals and it's best if they feed themselves. Try fork mashing a little banana and letting her feed herself.

A person on cm will tell you that babies don't need solids until age 1 or 2. Another will say solids are for practice (whatever that means). Of course these are not accurate. You want all the foods your baby eats to be nutritious. You are starting solids at the recommended age.

You can find more info about breastfeeding and starting solids at http://www.kellymom.com/ and of course the LLL website.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:50 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• no reason to ever force feed a baby like that. You can also steam veggies really well and mush them up. Make sure she eats small bites and only a couple tablespoons worth. You can try to reintroduce foods in a few weeks that she hasn't liked before.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 10:54 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I would just try a different food and reintroduce sweet potatoes at another time. It doesn't mean she doesn't like them... but I think she might associate being sick with the taste of them. They actually say that you should continue to feed a rejected food several times before saying "they don't like it" so just wait and try again later with those. My son HATED carrots... would gag on them even... but not they are his favorite!
    I would maybe try avocado it's a really nice first food... nice and creamy
    With my son I introduced a vege and then a fruit (I counted avocado as a vege because it has more of a vege flavor) So I did avocado then applesauce because I could mix them together too if I wanted to change things up.
    Later green beans then pears (they taste good together)
    Sweet potatoes and apples- might work to reintroduce the sweet potatoes after she's started on apples
    Try homemade if you aren't already, tastier!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:01 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Thanks for all the great suggestions...any truth to the thought that if you give your baby a fruit first they won't eat veggies? That's what I've been warned about. I didn't actually force her to eat it. I just tried to get it in her mouth a few times so I could see if she'd take it. She didn't so I gave up. What about giving her some steamed veggies in those mesh bags? Does that count as her eating it? LOL. Being a nanny for 4 years doesn't exactly prepare you for everything!
    KenzieQsMommy

Comment by KenzieQsMommy (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• My kiddos really disliked the pureed baby foods. I would make them regular oatmeal (with water at first) and they loved it. The jarred stuff, not so much. So I would just mash or chop up a banana, peach, green beans, etc.

It will take more than just one time for a baby to accept a new taste and/or texture. Some say up to 10 tries, others up to 20-30 introductions. All you really need to do is offer a small amount. She still may be satisfied from being EBF. My first was more reluctant to eat solids than my other 2 (who were stealing food from my plate by 6 months.)

She will get it. Just give it a little time.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:21 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• remember not to force feed! breastmilk is still the main source of nutrition and solids are just for practice. solids are a new sensation, texture and taste so she probably just isnt used to it. I doubt it's due to her memory of getting sick.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:55 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• It sounds to me like she just isn't ready, yet. I'd quit for now and try again in another week or two. We started at 7 months and it wasn't until closer to 8 before she really seemed to want to eat the foods. The thing about veggies first is just a myth. Supposedly it's because fruits are sweet so they won't want to eat veggies, but breastmilk is sweet, so that tosses that idea out the window.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:39 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I do not force feed!!! What I meant by that was I had to work a small amount in her mouth to see if she was interested. After the 2nd attempt it was clear she wasn't so I gave up. I enjoy breastfeeding so if she'd rather do that then great! But she eats the oatmeal by itself really well everyday and is just needing more. She tries to steal my food all the time!! Good point Christina807!!! I think we'll try bananas soon and I am interested in learning how to make my own baby food since my DH bought a baby food grinder, I just don't know how to use it yet!
    KenzieQsMommy

Comment by KenzieQsMommy (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Aug. 7, 2010