question about ereaders? Which one to get?

have been dreaming about getting one. And the new Kindle 3 is 139 to 189. What I want to know is when I go to my folks cabin that is in upper northern MN would I be able to read on it? Or do I have to be somewhere that has internet for it? In that case maybe I would be better off w/ a sony reader. hmmmm. anyone have any experiences they want to share?

Lynette

Asked by Lynette at 10:57 AM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Entertainment

• I love, love, love my Kindle!!! I've been all over the US with it, haven't had a problem connecting to buy new books. Once you have the books on it, you can read it without being connected to the Internet :) The charger is awesome, you can hook it up to your computer or the wall.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:03 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• You can download books through the public library to your desktop or laptop. I don't know about Kindle.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:13 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• You don't need the internet to read, and I've never gotten books from the library.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:30 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• The problem with the whole eBook movement is that there is currently no preferred or standard format. What can be read on Kindle cannot be read on Sony's or Barnes and Noble, books available at the library cannot be down loaded to Kindle, etc... I really depends on how much you want to pay and if their book stock is what you enjoy. Do some research, now that school is getting ready to start again, they should be on sale everywhere.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:10 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I have a sony reader and I love it. It takes like 10seconds to download a book. I use it mostly to read books from the library. I have the pocket edition - paid $100 on woot.com it was a sale of the day. If you check woot, they have them or the sony reader touch (for around $150) about once a month.
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 7:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• do u ever wish u could check out bks from a public library? Kindle dosen't do that(I think) but it does so much. And anyone know if I could read my fav blogs from a Kindle?
    Lynette

Comment by Lynette (original poster) at 11:10 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• okay I'm starting to understand this whole 3G WiFi stuff.  makes my head spin a bit!  Here is a link that helped http://ireaderreview.com/2010/08/01/kindle-3g-or-wifi/

Lynette

Comment by Lynette (original poster) at 10:50 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Hi Lynette! It's Robin from the Kids' Health Group!

We are looking at ereaders for our teen; I am trying to figure out which one is best for text books. We have been buying used copies to keep at home, but it would be great for her to have portable versions to read on the train or bus.

I will look at the link, and Consumer Reports.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:44 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• you can also get free book downloads on Amazon
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 1:13 AM on Aug. 9, 2010

• I meant to say with the Kindle u can get free book downloads. I love mine
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 1:14 AM on Aug. 9, 2010