Update on Hospital L & D visit due to BP

Went in to L & D yesterday due to having contractions that would not stop. They felt like very stong BH and would not go away. Also feeling dizzy and seeing spots. We I was at L&D I was having real contractions and BP was really high-- I was given a injection for the babies lungs and give IV fluids 3 bags they said I was dehydrated due to the warm weather we are having... they took blood and urine samples. There was a trace of protein in my urine but labs came back fine. The doctor is concerned due to the High BP and some puffyness in face and hands. I am on strick bedrest until Monday when I go back in for another BP check and NST --

CapeCodMom1

Asked by CapeCodMom1 at 11:11 AM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• good luck hop everything does well how far along are you
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 11:16 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Pre-eclampsia, perhaps? So they gave you betamethasone to help the baby's lungs in case you have to deliver; how far along are you?
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:18 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• If you are 36 weeks along the baby may be far enough along to not go to the NICU if born now. If you are 38 weeks the baby's brain is much more developed. Those are two goals to look forward to.

Bedrest doesn't stop labor. If you do research you will find there is no evidence to back the recommendation of bedrest. Doctors order bedrest because that's what doctors have always done (standard of care).

If you don't have a blood pressue cuff you could have someone go out and buy one for you so you can monitor your bp at home. You may also be able to get urine dipsticks for protein. I would want to know.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:21 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Here is the deal-- I went in yesterday thinking I was 36 weeks-- well I am at Cape Cod Hospital and the nurse keeps telling me that I will have to go to Boston if my blood work comes back bad due to not being able to deliver a baby before 36 weeks. I said well I am 36 weeks and she tells me my record shows I am 34 weeks and due on 9/16-- mind you I have NEVER heard of my due date being 9/16 it was always 9/11 and my c-section was schedule already for 9/9. So to tell you the truth I am going with 34 weeks due to the hospital record but due to my last menstral cycle I am 36 weeks along-- I feel 36 weeks along let me tell ya!! HA! And yes they gave me betamethasone to strenghten the lungs -- I had this done with my 4 year old as well due to having a placenta abruption with him at 26 weeks. I have never had HBP before and it is a little scary-- Today I am just hanging out on the couch with the labtop :0) trying to relax
    CapeCodMom1

Comment by CapeCodMom1 (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Ugh! I just went through the same thing! I was in the hospital 3 times in 2 weeks at 35-36 weeks for my BP. My feet were so swollen I couldn't fit them in my shoes and always had a dull or severe headache. I was on 2 types of BP meds and still my BP was in the 160's/90's or 100's. I wasn't preeclamptic but finally on my 3rd time in the hospital they induced. Just relax and try to keep your feet up!
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Thank you all so much-- I am feeling a little better today but will watch myself-- I am drinking water and will try to increase the amount-- it is so nice to have this website to bounce things off other moms thanks you so much again !!!
    CapeCodMom1

Comment by CapeCodMom1 (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• good luck
    san78

Answer by san78 at 9:34 AM on Aug. 8, 2010