What is the difference in quality between fresh and frozen poultry?

MTM

Asked by MTM at 12:06 PM on Aug. 7, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Fresh is easier because you don't have to guess how many days it will take in the fridge to thaw. Fresh may also be free range or be antibiotic free or fed a special diet. My son is a meat cutter at a health food grocery and we are spoiled by meat that is better quality like frest chicken and turkey. When we get meat on sale at a large chain we can often tell the difference in taste.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Personally? I find the fresh meat to have a different texture and slightly different taste, but I prefer poultry that has been previously frozen to work with it in cooking. To me, fresh poultry has a firmer feel to the meat, has a tiny bit stronger flavor, and is a bit tougher than thawed poultry when eating it. Thawed poultry meat is easier to skin and cut up for cooking.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I should add that we raise our own poultry and don't buy from the stores. We've had chicken that's freshly slaughtered only hours before and we've had it frozen with nothing added to the meat before freezing.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I think that fresh poultry has more flavor, and the texture is better. Frozen isn't "bad," but I prefer fresh if I can get it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:18 PM on Aug. 7, 2010